1978 Landau 14' rivet size?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caleywoods

Reaction score
I picked up a '78 landau 1462v a few weeks back. I tested it a few days back by filling it up with water and it has a very slow trickle drip at the bow where the bottom starts to form the V. I see that there are about 4 missing rivets where the hull plate connects that have been sealed with what looks like silicone caulking. I want to dig out the silicone, wire wheel the area, and replace the missing rivets with some sealed end aluminum rivets.

What is the best way to determine what size rivet you need? Do you just buy some small packs of normal rivets and give them a test fit before purchasing the sealed end versions? I think after replacing these few missing rivets and giving the whole thing a coat of gluvit she should be watertight since it's a very slow trickle now as is.

FWIW send me (PM) your mailing address and I'll send you some 3/16" diameter solid rivets in 3/8" & 1/2" lengths ... that should do it. You on one side and someone on other side, holding a block or such against the 'tail' (shaft end) of the rivet. I personally would NEVER use a blind rivet when one can use a solid rivet.

Thanks DaleH - I'll send the PM.

What's the difference between blind versus solid? I was planning on buying solid rivets (I think?).

Something like this - https://www.amazon.com/1000-Rivets-Aluminum-CLOSED-SEALED/dp/B00AGK9W3A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1471019179&sr=8-2&keywords=aluminum+sealed+rivet Are those considered blind rivets?

Edit: After googling I see the difference. Seems like when you say "rivet" to the average person almost all of them (i think) picture a blind rivet which can be installed with a typical hand riveting gun. Seems as though solid rivets look a bit more like a carriage bolt.

Latest posts