,40 HP Johnson oil injection

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRUCE1911

Reaction score
I just bought a boat with a Johnson tiller 40 I am guessing from the mid 90s cause that is how old boat and trailer are. It has an oil injection system i have never had a boat with one the first time out it smoked quite a bit the second time out hardly none if any how do I know if this thing is working??

The scenario on that engine is probably that it had sat for a while before YOUR initial run when it "smoked a lot"
Inside the VRO pump one of the umbrella valves was possibly stuck open slightly allowing oil to migrate back down your fuel line. Usually as the fuel bowls lose fuel due to evaporation it is replaced by oil if this valve is hanging a bit. Makes for a very smokey start and initial operation.
The good thing here is that your system is apparently supplying plenty of oil ! If you want to verify the pump is operating properly you can always mix oil with your gasoline and then make a mark on your oil tank to monitor oil usage out of the tank.
Now, your next "helpful" reply will probably be that "I heard they all had problems and you should disconnect it" Obviously your engine has survived a couple decades so far or very close to it with the pump. However, that VRO pump is also an excellent stand-alone fuel pump. The oil side can be disconnected along with the wires. The Oil tank and line and wires can then be removed from your boat and free up a bit of room. Your choice.

Thanks I think I will try mixing in some oil in the fuel tank and filling the oil res plumb full and see what happens

I got rid of mine when I thought the fuel pump was going out. I didn't want to buy the expensive VRO pump and I had already disabled the oil pump side. Here is the link with pictures. https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38896&p=395284&hilit=remove+VRO#p395284
:mrgreen:

VRO pumps are notorious for going out/not supplying enough oil and burning up the power head. VRO had been removed on my Johnson. I mix oil in the gas. Much simpler that way.

If you want to see if it's working, mark the level on the tank with a sharpie and then run it for a while, then recheck the level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts