Removing end caps from rollers

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weweber3

Reaction score
How do I (easily?) get the end caps off to replace the rollers from the trailer? I don't have a pic readily available.

It is not a bolt and nut, it's almost like one of these hammer on caps for a kids wagon or something - but seem much harder to remove.

I drill through the center of the cap with a ~3/32" cobalt (just because I have them) drill, then use a punch to punch the shaft off the cap, out the other way ...

Allows the cap to be re-used too :wink: .

Johnny said:
The ones I have come in contact with were not reusable.
I cut them off (carefully) and get new caps from Lowe's.
But, I am often a little aggressive when it comes to stubborn
nuts and bolts LOL !!

I was thinking of this, and then can I just replace with a standard bolt+nylon lock nut?

weweber3 said:
I was thinking of this, and then can I just replace with a standard bolt+nylon lock nut?
Nope ... the caps "press on", as the shaft is not threaded. The extreme ends of the shaft are a tad deformed to catch and hold the rolled lip of the cap.

Before the use of caps however, the ends of the roller shafts had a ~1/8" hole drilled through them and a large washer and SS cotter pin, cotter clip or special 'dog pin' (that's what they were called, squeezed in place they were) would be used to secure the end of the roller. See pictures.

Attachments

• Shaft-Pin.JPG
    Shaft-Pin.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,936
  • Shaft-Cap.JPG
    Shaft-Cap.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,936
weweber3 said:
I can get these at HD or Lowes?
Yes, cotter pins will be cheaper. Those bigger pins at the bottom are "cotter clips", not pins ... I erred :roll: on my quick sketch, haha!

Grab a cobalt drill while at it to drill through the shafts, keep water handy, cool the bit off frequently to make the cutting edge last.

DaleH said:
weweber3 said:
I can get these at HD or Lowes?
Yes, cotter pins will be cheaper. Those bigger pins at the bottom are "cotter clips", not pins ... I erred :roll: on my quick sketch, haha!

Grab a cobalt drill while at it to drill through the shafts, keep water handy, cool the bit off frequently to make the cutting edge last.

I should have been more clear, can I get the rods at HD/Lowes? What are those called?

No - at big box stores, but yes - at boat stores, or on-line, see: https://www.lowcostboatingstore.com/search.asp?keyword=roller+shaft&search= , for one source.

They are roller shafts. Made in different diameters and lengths.

weweber3 said:
can I just replace with a standard bolt+nylon lock nut?

I wouldn't see why you couldn't replace the shaft with an appropriately sized bolt with washers and a nyloc nut or a second jam-nut; you'd just have to make sure that you didn't tighten it too far down on the roller bracket since you want the shaft and the roller to turn freely. One other concern might be the nuts freezing on with rust and being impossible to remove if you need to make a replacement in the future, but if you have a cut-off wheel then it's not a huge issue...or use stainless.

However, you can purchase the roller shafts and pal nuts online at a variety of retailers relatively inexpensively, below is a link to a set on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Tie-Down-86032-Trailer-Roller/dp/B003E1ZIFO/ref=sr_1_1

IMHO...it will be a lot easier to cut/tear/shear/ the d@#$ caps off...and then just tap on new d@#$ caps.

Drilling through the shaft to accommodate cotter pins, or their ilk, will take a lot more time than tapping a new cheap cap on.

richg99

p.s.I hate the caps, too, but they do their job.

If I can get the caps off I'll likely go that route to just replace them. I do like the cotter pin long term... not sure my ability to drill the hole though.

I have found the easiest way to drill thru a round shaft is to find a nut that just slides over the shaft then drill thru a flat on the nut and thru the shaft.

I've drilled shafts by putting a "flat" on one side of the shaft and starting the drill there. A good punch would work to start it too.

I've done a number of them when making kayak roller carts. Probably should have just used the caps.

richg99

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
I have found the easiest way to drill thru a round shaft is to find a nut that just slides over the shaft then drill thru a flat on the nut and thru the shaft.

Hot ****, what a great idea!!

Latest posts