Pedestal Seat Bases

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby_bates

Reaction score
Hey All,

I am in process of getting a casting deck put on my jon. I want to add a pedestal seat, and was wondering if anyone has pros/cons on aluminum vs stainless, and threaded vs non-threaded seat bases? The boat is a tracker 1542, and I'll be 99.999% in freshwater. Not too much salt here in KY. Thanks in advance.

bobby_bates said:
I want to add a pedestal seat, and was wondering if anyone has pros/cons on aluminum vs stainless ...
No reason to go for the expense of SS then, IMHO. FWIW, my skiff has been used in the salt for going on 20-years now and the Springfield 'taper lock' aluminum bases are starting to show their age ... but so far none of them have busted off. Which is a good thing :lol: !

However, whereas the boat just turned 20, I do intend to replace them - if nothing else than for safety ... to ensure that I (or the crew) don't go flying out of boat when I hit an errant wake! On my prior toona boat, I once snapped off a heavy duty 4" diameter seat base, where the toggle boats (15-yrs old) snapped, broke or even pulled out of the floor :shock: ... when I hit a HUGE rogue wave (literally towered over the boat :shock: , estimated 12-14' tall) one day whilst 20-miles offshore.

So yes, seat bases need to be strong and affixed accordingly, i.e., to a strong floor with good sub-floor or superstructure, and when using good hardware/methods.

... wondering if anyone has pros/cons on threaded vs non-threaded seat bases?
I've used the SS non-threaded pin ones by Swivl-Ease on my tin skiffs, and loved them, while my present boat has the aluminum bases with taper-locks by Springfield Marine. Just due to the aluminum corrosion alone, I plan on replacing the bases and pedestals this Winter with the stainless steel ones ... but recall my environment is in saltwaters.

I would think any suitable strength aluminum base/seat/pedestal as made by the various Mfg'rs wouldn't work for you. Or perhaps those that work for you at the price point you can afford. Hopefully others here who may have just completed an upgrade can give you/us more details. Good luck!

Good advice already.

I've always pondered about threaded versus non-threaded bases. I guess I came to the conclusion that, if you pull your seats out often (due to storage issues or whatever) then the non-threaded certainly makes sense.

I'm a big guy, and if I were going to replace what I have, I would opt for the threaded. I don't pull my seats often, and, being 250 lbs, I think that the added safety of a threaded-in fastener would give me some comfort.

Just my thoughts on the matter. Good Luck. richg99

I ended up with the threaded base. I figured it wouldn't "pop out" while using the outboard to go from spot to spot. Thanks for all the input guys.

Latest posts