Quick opinion please!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdrh99

Reaction score
OK, here is a pic of a boat I'm thinking about purchasing. It's a 14', comes with a very nice running 9.9 Johnson, a decent trolling motor with battery, and a trailer in great shape (will need new tires within 250 miles probably). Package is $1100, I may offer $900 and see where it goes. Anyhow, I don't know the width but it looks pretty good for putting a small deck on the front 3rd. Will probably just leave the back half alone, maybe paint and my ff. Opinions?

Attachments

• 00909_8535ausiq6D_600x450.jpg
    00909_8535ausiq6D_600x450.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 962
Anyone??

Attachments

• 00g0g_lH8snTB8ruq_600x450.jpg
    00g0g_lH8snTB8ruq_600x450.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 910
  • 00k0k_gYUhcs7XiOc_600x450.jpg
    00k0k_gYUhcs7XiOc_600x450.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 910
FWIW I had a 12' skiff of the same shape, lighter boat, with the 'tumblehome' on the stern (where the top-sides taper in as the sides move up to meet the top of the gunnel [gunwhale]), and the rounded chines at the garboard (transition piece where the running bottom of the hull and the top-sides meet).

My 12-footer was a tippy canoe with those rounded chines, so I'd try her a few times for stability, before adding anything. To me it looks like one of the lighter 14' models, which would limit the max OB motor HP and its base stability. Appears to be a 'Sears' brand boat.

Appears to be a nice clean rig though! Based on what I'm seeing I think if you can get it for $900 it would be OK, not sure I'd go more.

With added floors, decking, carpeting, live well, I think you are looking at a sinker. I don't see any flotation either. Could be a killer.

I picked it up for $1000. Added bonus, the motor is electric start. He let me have a mechanic go over it and he gave it a clean bill of health. As for floatation, each bench seat is full of newer foam. Boat is solid, and I plan to keep mods to a minimum for now. Water test went well, planed out and ran 21mph per my Lowrance.

Al U Minium said:
With added floors, decking, carpeting, live well, I think you are looking at a sinker. I don't see any flotation either. Could be a killer.
Not sure why you say that, I'm not putting a live well, no carpeting, probably no floors. Boat is rated for 815lbs. I've already moved the batteries and gas tank to the front. This boat is stable even with me standing on the front bench seat. Took wake from the ski boats like a champ.

I believe DaleH is giving sound advice. Good thing is that you have a 14 instead of a 12. Still the added deck weight raises the C/G and your weight on top of that may make it a bit tippy. Nice boat and a very good price! Isn't that electric start a nice feature!
I picked up a 1985 15hp Johnson with electric start on it a couple months ago. Just finished up the engine to sell it. Love just pushing a button.

Latest posts