MAX bottom width for 60/40?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kgrant said:
I recently played with a 1652 Alweld tunnel with pods powered by a 60/40 Merc 4 stroke and found it very underpowered.

This is a heavier .100 hull with a full welded railing around the boat and a full floor, 12 gallon fuel tank, single battery.

Boat would barely do 20 in deep water upriver and almost 25 downriver, would never fully plane out. Seemed very underpowered. Motor running 5200rpm, impeller like new.

Compared to my rivited lowe 1648 50/35 Honda tiller this thing was a dog.

Could be motor mounted too low? There's a guy on Outdoordirectory.com that has a 1752 Alweld tunnel with pods that says runs very good with a Tohatsu 50/35 with him his wife and two kids. He added aftermarket pods though.

I know a guy with a 1652 with 60/40 Mercury tiller that does very well, no pods or tunnel and .80 but still think that something wasn't right if it wouldn't even get on plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motor is defiantly not too low, it has electric lift and you can raise till it sucks air then lower back down. I don't like how far the lift mounts the motor of the transom, but the lift is there so we can easily swap from jet to prop.

It will get barely plane, just seems like it's plowing water. Triming the motor doesn't seem to make much difference. I've set up a few outboard jets, this boat just seems too heavy for the motor.

From reading others experiences with this motor we were hoping for better performance.

We're not done playing with it yet, any ideas?

4669ca0928e4737ca07e27138215a388.jpg

Too much set back on the jack plate??? As far as the plowing water at the bow and the trim not having any effect sounds like the angle of the transom is not correct, but being an Alweld and so many being ran with outboard jets I'm sure that's not the problem, but could be a lot of weight up front?

My Lowe 1652 tunnel has an older Mercury 60/45 short shaft jet and it gets up and goes pretty well. I moved the console forward and put the battery up under the console to move weight forward. I also had to put on transom wedges for the motor to keep the nose down and avoid porpoising. I'm wondering if the pods and the jackplate moving the motor too far back are causing your issues.

Attachments

• Lowe_1652_5.jpg
    Lowe_1652_5.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 2,478
kgrant said:
Motor is defiantly not too low, it has electric lift and you can raise till it sucks air then lower back down. I don't like how far the lift mounts the motor of the transom, but the lift is there so we can easily swap from jet to prop.

It will get barely plane, just seems like it's plowing water. Triming the motor doesn't seem to make much difference. I've set up a few outboard jets, this boat just seems too heavy for the motor.

From reading others experiences with this motor we were hoping for better performance.

We're not done playing with it yet, any ideas?

4669ca0928e4737ca07e27138215a388.jpg
In the pic is the motor trimmed all the way down? If it is, it looks like it is about 1 to 1 1/2 inches too low. That top plate coming off of the tunnel should be where the column of water is. If so the shoe is going to be scooping water causing drag and forcing the bow down. The farther out you trim it the worse it will get.

I have never ran a tunnel or set one up, only going by what I have read about them. Setup should be generally the same though as finding where the water column exits and adjust accordingly.

looks like the pods might be welded on straight rather than angled up some. Might be to back heavy but figured pods would counter that. My old 60/40 two stoke merc pushes my boat pretty well it's a 1554 and just as heavy as his boat I'm sure. Mine is a 1/8" hull with full floor, gun/rod box on each side tiller as well so it's a little back heavy. Mine takes a minute to plane out if it's loaded heavy with three guys and hunting gear but planes out and will still do 26-27mph with that load. Load doesn't seem to hurt my top speed much just my time to get up on plane. I'm guessing something is off wonder if he has the four stroke merc and might have one of the old style impellers that is better for the two strokes.

archery68 said:
Tbradley said:
I'm in central KY. No jets dealers near me that I've found. I mean they'll order you a jet, but like you said not knowledgeable on setting them up. All the info that I know is from here, Outdoordirectory.com and dealers mostly in MO that I've called.
There are lots of boat dealers around here that know their stuff about jets. Exactly where in Ky? I was stationed years ago at Ft. Campbell, it would be worth your time to head over and check some boats out and not that far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to I'm north of louisville by about 45mins into indiana if you wanted to go for a ride in my boat you could, it's a 54" bottom 1/8" hull my 60/40 does pretty well I have it on a jack plate to switch to a prop for certain trips. my next boat which won't be for a while will probably be a 1854 1/8" hull with my 60/40. I'm next door to you but closer than MO

This is becoming a separate topic but handyandy brings up a good point.

kgrant said:
I recently played with a 1652 Alweld tunnel with pods powered by a 60/40 Merc 4 stroke and found it very underpowered.

This is a heavier .100 hull with a full welded railing around the boat and a full floor, 12 gallon fuel tank, single battery.

Boat would barely do 20 in deep water upriver and almost 25 downriver, would never fully plane out. Seemed very underpowered. Motor running 5200rpm, impeller like new.

Post a side photo with a straightedge off the bottom extending to the end of the pod. The rear of the pod should be around 3/4in higher than the bottom of the boat. If not they could be acting as trim tabs causing drag, plowing, and slow planing.

mphelle said:
This is becoming a separate topic but handyandy brings up a good point.

kgrant said:

Post a side photo with a straightedge off the bottom extending to the end of the pod. The rear of the pod should be around 3/4in higher than the bottom of the boat. If not they could be acting as trim tabs causing drag, plowing, and slow planing.

The pod are welded on around 1" above the bottom of the boat. They look square but I never did put a straight edge on them.

I don't have access to the boat right now.

The bottom of the pod should be flush and smooth with the bottom of the boat or it will create drag, the rear of the pod should be around 3/4 inch higher than the bottom of the boat. Post a photo when you get a chance.

I don't think it's the jack plate I run a jack plate on mine and it planes out just fine with two guys and some gear and I know my boat is every bit as heavy as his. So I'm thinking something is wrong, either to much gap between impeller and liner, not trimmed right, pods aren't right, or something as stated more pictures would help a lot.

Latest posts