1966 Shorelander Trailer Axle Issue

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnglerC

Reaction score
I have a dilemma with my boat trailer. It pulls a 16.5 foot deep vee aluminum boat.

The outside bearing went bad while driving it home about 5 miles. When attempting to remove the inside bearing which is in tact there is a bur and slight gouge out of the spindle that will not allow it to slide off. I can take some 500 grit paper and remove the bur but is the gouge in the spindle going to give me trouble with a new bearing?

Would I be better off to replace the axle? I contacted two axle places in the Twin Cities. Ridged Hitch and Northern Tool and Equipment. Neither one had an axle with a hub face of 55-1/4". I then contacted the Shorelander distributer north of the cities and they couldn't find a replacement either.

This worries me. I'd hate to have to find a whole new trailer. I don't have that kind of money.

Remove the burr and inspect the spindle.
The bearing doesn't spin on the spindle the bearing has an inner race that the roller bearings ride on.
Can you post pictures of the spindle?

Let me know if you need better pix.

Attachments

• IMG_0816.JPG
    IMG_0816.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,883
  • IMG_0817.JPG
    IMG_0817.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,883
It looks ok to me.
Clean off all the old grease it could hold bits of metal from the old bearings. What does the area the seal ride on look like?

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Where you able the pull the hub without removing the castle nut?

Not the first time. I took it all apart once, took out all the bits and then put it back together. Today I noticed it all could just pull off.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
It looks ok to me.
Clean off all the old grease it could hold bits of metal from the old bearings. What does the area the seal ride on look like?

Where would that be?

The seal rides on the slightly larger area of the spindle behind the inner bearing. It needs to be smooth with no grooves.

I have cleaned the spindles and taken pics of back end of the spindle. It looks clean enough but it looks a little rough too. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0819.JPG
    IMG_0819.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,825
  • IMG_0820.JPG
    IMG_0820.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,825
  • IMG_0821.JPG
    IMG_0821.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,825
  • IMG_0822.JPG
    IMG_0822.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,825
They are a stainless steel sleeve that gets hammered on spindle to make a nice smooth surface for the grease seal to ride on. Here is a link for the sleeves for a 1" spindle. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000EPTAMU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472639291&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=speedi+sleeve+99100&dpPl=1&dpID=31n%2BuOyyB7L&ref=plSrch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I need to measure this portion of the spindle for a fit? Do I just need to know the diameter? And the seal and bearing ride on this sleeve?

Attachments

• IMG_0822.jpg
    IMG_0822.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,814
That's the part where the grease seal rides so yes. For example if the grease seal is a 10-19 you will need the sleeve to fit that part of the spindle which is 1.791".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts