1964 appleby 12' Jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harryron31

Reaction score
Hi I just acquired a 64 appleby Jon boat from my wife's grandfather. I am new to boats and I am trying to find out as much information as I can about this boat. I have been looking for the tag that gives all the information on it but can't find it. It also came with a force 5hp 2 stroke engine that will need a new prop before I can use it; one of the blades has a big chunk missing out of it. I am also looking for ideas for what I want to do to it. I intend on using it to take my kids fishing so it will have to be able to seat 3 people.

sent from the middle of a corn field.

Here's what I found with google-fu:
cae12d10dd44b5c168160ea2516c2ae4.jpg

don't know how clear it will be, but max weight of passengers and gear seems to be about 450 lbs.

3 passengers might be a stretch.

oakchas said:
Here's what I found with google-fu:
cae12d10dd44b5c168160ea2516c2ae4.jpg

don't know how clear it will be, but max weight of passengers and gear seems to be about 450 lbs.

3 passengers might be a stretch.
Thanks for the information.

I once had a 10' Sears jon boat. I read the placard and based on weight, decided to take my girls out on the nearby lake.

I did not know that in that state, you had to paint the # of passengers allowed before the registration #.

The number, also on the placard, was 2. I had the twins + the oldest + me on the boat. I'm lucky I didn't get caught.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I had to order a new prop for my motor it had a big chunk missing. Man for a peace of plastic they are expensive.

2b1216da28d13d6582089b8fa924b6c0.jpg

I will also have a trolling motor and lights here this weekend. My wife's grandfather could not find everything that he was given me when I went up to his house to get the boat. I plan on using it for fishing for catfish, panfish, and maybe sugeye/walleye . I am not into bass fishing anymore.

So today I went to get the boat registered in my name (did not happen because I could not find the HD tag). But I did pick up some stickers so I could get the identification number on there. I'm going to head back later this week to hopefully get it registered I eventually found the tag; it looked home made so hopefully it is right.
This weekend I am planning on taking it out to a lake that I usally fish at to see if there are any leaks. If everything looks good i will use it as is.
This winter I am going to try to get some of the dings and dents straightened out and maybe add a light flooring to add between the ribs. I also talked to the guy that makes custom decals about making some for my boat. I decided to name it after my oldest daughter and this is what he came up with.
8493eca0a39e0b58bc9785cc070f9856.jpg

And finally next spring I plan on painting it a dark green with black accents.

Cool idea for the boat name. For what its worth, I think the third design from the top is really cool. Kind of has that 60's feeling which pairs well with the age of the boat depending on how you plan on finishing it.

That is the one that my wife and I decided on also.

So I finally got around to taking a picture of the boat.

ae9e6f50e24b5974d8ac97e4680676cd.jpg

I also put the new prop on today and also my registration stickers. One of the letters for my ID is not sticking so eiter I'm going to have to paint or super glue it. And in my usual fashion I put one of the registration stickers in the wrong spot read the instructions after I did the first one. Oh the paint on the boat is really thick not sure what kind it is but it looks like it will be a pain to strip.

The trailer is going to need some work done this winter but I am not real sure right now how to fix everything that needs done. I need to shorten the Tung, replace (its not funtional right now) and move the winch closer to the boat, and paint it.

you can get some shelf paper with the sticky back,
print out your Reg.Numbers on your computer,
trace them onto the shelf paper that is already
stuck to the boat and handcut the numbers out
with an X-Acto knife and with a quick whisp of
some spray paint, you have permanent numbers !!

OR - you can go back to the sticker/sign shop and
they can cut you out a paint mask .....
Personally, I just don't don't like stick-on stickers.

Johnny said:
you can get some shelf paper with the sticky back,
print out your Reg.Numbers on your computer,
trace them onto the shelf paper that is already
stuck to the boat and handcut the numbers out
with an X-Acto knife and with a quick whisp of
some spray paint, you have permanent numbers !!

OR - you can go back to the sticker/sign shop and
they can cut you out a paint mask .....
Personally, I just don't don't like stick-on stickers.
I will keep this in mind after I paint the boat. right now I'm going to probably just trace the letter that and paint it by hand to get me through the season.

I took my boat out for the fist time today and there is a leak somewhere what is the best way to find a leak? Also I was having trouble getting the outboard started so I am going to have to figure that out also but who knows how long it sat. The first time I got it started it would only go a little faster than idle the second time it ran better but when going slow it died the third time I was able to get the boat on plane with me and my youngest daughter who is only 60 pounds.

I didn't see this thread until now.
Don't shorten the trailer. Longer trailers are easier to back up and one day you might get a longer boat.

I'm going to start getting the boat ready for crappie fishing. I have a question about the best way to seal the leaks up? I am not 100% on where it is leaking from I think around the back seat . It has some type of thick paint on it any you can see where some of the rivets have been sealed before.

Latest posts