Oh Baby!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOVE those old tins!

I met the guy that restored this Cadillac tin skiff - pictures attached. I tell you, if I used my tins on trailers, instead of 24/7 moorings, I would have bought it. It was beautiful! He replaced that motor and bought a Nissan e-start 25hp controls motor off me, as he wanted the reliability of a newer motor, but lamented the old style OB motor look.

On my suggestion, he found an old Evinrude "Lark" parts motor as shown. I told him he could cut a plywood template,cut-out to affix to the existing top of the Nissan pan, then cut off the top of the Lark pan and fasten that old pan to the top of the plywood. Then he would be able to remove the Lark cover. It worked! Yeah, there was that funky transition between the newer lower unit and the old style cowling, but one would really have to know old OB motors to figure that out. Believe me, it looked far better than it sounds, haha!

Attachments

• Evinrude Lark.jpg
    Evinrude Lark.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 756
  • Cadillac Tin.jpg
    Cadillac Tin.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 756
DaleH said:
he found an old Evinrude "Lark" parts motor as shown. I told him he could cut a plywood template,cut-out to affix to the existing top of the Nissan pan, then cut off the top of the Lark pan and fasten that old pan to the top of the plywood. Then he would be able to remove the Lark cover.

I had plans to do something similar on my current boat. I was worried about older 2-strokes getting banned in National Parks/Recreation areas like the PWCs. You can buy vintage engine cowlings on eBay. I was thinking of buying a newer 4-stroke or EFI 2-stroke and modifying an old cowling to fit and make it look age appropriate. My frugality won out and I purchased a 33HP Fastwin instead (I also like old 2-strokes), but still have this plan ruminating in that back of my mind in case they ever do ban the old 2-strokes.

And, just to stay somewhat on topic, that boat is definitely worth an Oh Baby! That's one sweet vintage piece of tin.

BB? that is just...wonderful. Beautiful metal work and the paint had to have been done by a top level professional. I'm a bit surprised that it is in the water and not in a climate-controlled showroom. =D>

You have some treats up there in Minnesota, perhaps to compensate for the black flies and no-seeums?
I was once one bite short of having to go to an emergency room after the flying feeders got on me in Bimiji. Most voracious biting bugs I'd ever encountered.

Beautiful paint. At first I thought it was anodized. No way, he must have shot a transparent Kandy blue over the highly polished aluminum and then clear coated.

Latest posts