Maybe a crazy Idea

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldguy

Reaction score
Hello all new guy here, Ive been a big fan of Jon boats for years. My current boat is a 2002 G3 1648. I belong to a fishing club and would like to get another boat to leave there. I'm seeing a few older Bass Trackers that are cheap and need some work. But I want it to be a tiller steer. Has anyone ever converting a remote style boat to tiller? And was able to remove the rear casting deck without and still retain the boats strength?

Told it may be a crazy idea, Thanks in advance

Mike

I'm no help to you but very interested in what others say, I too have seen many older bass trackers and had a similar idea.

Pretty sure there are threads around here by guys who have done it. This is the kind I'd like to have if money were no object.

GxaQe3Ih.jpg

Never did it so I can't help much.

But, there are more guys interested in swapping the other way around. I'd bet you can easily find someone who will trade you his tiller gear for your remote gear.

That should make the $$$ easy. richg99

richg99 said:
Never did it so I can't help much.

But, there are more guys interested in swapping the other way around. I'd bet you can easily find someone who will trade you his tiller gear for your remote gear.

That should make the $$$ easy. richg99

Might lose that bet, I would also prefer a tiller and have been keeping my eyes open for the needed tiller parts to turn my 48hp SPL johnson into a tiller. Those parts (even used) are very rare and pricey. Tillers open up the boat nicely. In some respects a case of "the grass is always greener on the other side" thing, I think.
Tim

Warmwater or salt fisherman may prefer a tiller, but anyone that trolls for coldwater species with downriggers or planer boards wants a remote steer, so you may want to focus your search for a swap that way.

Being a duck hunt I love a tiller because of the open floor plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may be able to leave the rear casting deck and make 1 or 2 new flip lids for it. Flip the lids open (so they lay toward the transom) and have seating pads on the underside of the lids. Sit on the padded lids and put your feet down into the opening and onto the floor of the boat. We built rear decks like this into a wide open 18' tiller Jon boat users ago and they worked great. Good luck with your search.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Latest posts