Can someone tell me what fuel connector this is?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caleywoods

Reaction score
Looking for help ID'ing a fuel connector that is installed on my Merc 9.9 (older model 2 stroke).

https://i.imgur.com/sCSaqpm.jpg

I've tried one of the quicksilver quick disconnect fittings and it didn't work. If push comes to shove - can I just replace this fitting with something I know I can find the other (male/female) side? Is fuel flow rate a concern with any connector?

Size connector to be used to the diameter of the fuel line used.

As far as "outside" appearance of that fitting - Mercury, Mariner, Sears Gamefisher, Honda, Nissan/Tohatsu and others HAVE ALL USED a connector that looks like that.

The difference I found was in (1) the diameter of the fitting OD, (2) effective length of said OD to the locking groove/feature and (3) depth of penetration that the "pin" on the corresponding female connector needed to have to properly draw fuel.

I once had a 7.5 Sears as a kicker and had heck of a time getting the right connector. Had one that 'fit' and matched the OB brand, but it wouldn't draw fuel! After a few minutes the engine would starve & stall out. That's how I learned about the pin length on the female connector end.

Ended up driving the rig to a marine store and they let me go through a few to get the right one. Ahhhhh yes, somewhere in its life the previous owner had changed out the 'brand' of connector on the OB motor to probably match their other fuel tanks and/or boats.

DaleH said:
Size connector to be used to the diameter of the fuel line used.

As far as "outside" appearance of that fitting - Mercury, Mariner, Sears Gamefisher, Honda, Nissan/Tohatsu and others HAVE ALL USED a connector that looks like that.

The difference I found was in (1) the diameter of the fitting OD, (2) effective length of said OD to the locking groove/feature and (3) depth of penetration that the "pin" on the corresponding female connector needed to have to properly draw fuel.

I once had a 7.5 Sears as a kicker and had heck of a time getting the right connector. Had one that 'fit' and matched the OB brand, but it wouldn't draw fuel! After a few minutes the engine would starve & stall out. That's how I learned about the pin length on the female connector end.

Ended up driving the rig to a marine store and they let me go through a few to get the right one. Ahhhhh yes, somewhere in its life the previous owner had changed out the 'brand' of connector on the OB motor to probably match their other fuel tanks and/or boats.

Yeah the QS connector I tried fits over it well but the bearings or locking balls inside the connector wouldn't engage in the groove and lock it in place. I've found 2 other QD style ones online but was trying to avoid playing fuel line roulette anymore. DaleH you mentioned sizing the connector to the diameter of fuel line - do you mean the ID of the line? I believe I have 5/32" right now but would need to double check.

caleywoods said:
... you mentioned sizing the connector to the diameter of fuel line - do you mean the ID of the line? I believe I have 5/32" right now but would need to double check.
Yes, fuel line IDs are typically 5/16" or 3/8" (more for V4s and V6s). Maybe some OB somewhere uses something smaller, but I've never run into it. I recall that Mercury was using 5/16" fuel lines on all OBs, whereas OMC used 3/8" on the bigguns.

What type of tank do you have? The reason I am asking is I had problems with fittings and leaks, so I bought all tohatsu fittings and line. It would work in your case wit the motor. But I don't know what your tank fitting hole is like. Man I won't use anything other than oem tohatsu fittings ever. They work so good and last. Easy on easy off and no leaks.

Latest posts