It's this prop costing performance?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdrh99

Reaction score
Quick question, this prop has a nice sized ding in it, am I losing any significant performance from it? It's on a 88 Johnson 9.9.…. On a 14ft v hull that will push me about 14/15 mph. I'm just wondering if replacing it is worth it

Any damage to the prop will cause a reduction in performance. How much depends on how damaged the prop is. In your case that would be minor damage to me. Myself, I would change it but I am a stickler for having things right. I know with damage on one blade the other blade or blades are working harder. Weight taken out of that blade also causes it to be out of balance causing the shaft seal to wear faster and the gearing in the foot to have more wear.

KMixson said:
Any damage to the prop will cause a reduction in performance. How much depends on how damaged the prop is. In your case that would be minor damage to me. Myself, I would change it but I am a stickler for having things right. I know with damage on one blade the other blade or blades are working harder. Weight taken out of that blade also causes it to be out of balance causing the shaft seal to wear faster and the gearing in the foot to have more wear.

Personally I would change it for the balance issue. Most of the inshore waters by me have large oyster reefs and depending on the tide they can be troublesome. I have seen guys driving with worse props than yours.

I'd blend/smooth it as best you could using crocus cloth/metal paper on a hardwood block, never a file.

If you need to run higher RPMs all the time, then I'd probably look for a new one. But I've run some as bad and never had any issues.

Personally I would change it for the balance issue. Most of the inshore waters by me have large oyster reefs and depending on the tide they can be troublesome. I have seen guys driving with worse props than yours.[/quote]

All to familiar with the oysters, used to boat quite a bit in SE NC around little river/calabash.... Terrible there, eat up the prop on a 25 I had twice. I'm in Nebraska now mainly on no wake lakes.

Latest posts