Would you trade?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdrh99

Reaction score
I have a very good running 88 Johnson 9.9 with e start. But I keep feeling that my boat is a little under powered. I have found a dealer/mechanic that has an 88 Evinrude 15, but it's not e start, he says he would do an even trade. Provided that it is in as good shape as the 9.9 would you give up the e start to get a bigger motor? My boat is a 14ft v hull rated up to 24hp (1967 crestliner).

I love my electric start I don't think I ever want to go back to a pull start. It is nice to have the pull start as a back up if your battery dies or starter goes bad.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I have a 25hp on my 14ft mirro craft if you can find a 25hp or 20hp I would go with that I don't think 5hp would make enough difference. But you know what they say " no matter what HP you get you will always want more". My 25hp will push my boat at a solid 20mph with 2 good sized guys and my dog full has tank. It will jump up on plane with in a few boat lengths. With just me and the dog it will plane even faster. I'm glad I didn't go with a 15hp I up graded from a 7.5hp. Feels like a speed boat. lol more power =more [emoji4]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That's nice, my 9.9 will push my boat pretty good, and most of the lakes I fish are no wake anyhow. But I'd like to be able to plane out without having to lean forward and crouch down. That's why I'm thinking a bigger motor, but yeah, the e start is so nice that I'd probably rather go bigger than the minimal gain from a 15. I was intrigued by the even swap offer on an Evinrude of the same year in just as good running condition, but **** that e start is nice.

Similar story....many years ago.

Went to a dealer who I knew and respected. Had the same issues. Small motor, wanted to buy a NEW larger motor because I couldn't get her on plane quickly.

(Sound familiar??)

He said...Nope....he sold me a hydrofoil for $35.00 Solved my planing issues without buying a new motor. Honest dealer who I proceeded to use for the next half dozen years while I lived up there.

Since that experience, I have learned that Smart TABS would have been EVEN BETTER than the Hydrofoil. But, the facts are that my issue was solved without buying a bigger motor.

richg99

richg99 said:
Similar story....many years ago.

Went to a dealer who I knew and respected. Had the same issues. Small motor, wanted to buy a NEW larger motor because I couldn't get her on plane quickly.

(Sound familiar??)

He said...Nope....he sold me a hydrofoil for $35.00 Solved my planing issues without buying a new motor. Honest dealer who I proceeded to use for the next half dozen years while I lived up there.

Since that experience, I have learned that Smart TABS would have been EVEN BETTER than the Hydrofoil. But, the facts are that my issue was solved without buying a bigger motor.

richg99

Thank you! I have looked and researched this for 2 days and I've seen more people say they aren't worth it for such a small motor, but the whole time I've though why not?! There is a set on Craigslist here for $15..
May try that before anything

I am not saying that the hydrofoil won't help. Heck, for $15.00 I'd give it a try.

But, even if it works very well ( I hope that it does) ....& before you think that you've got your boat to its best possible setup...do go to the Smart Tabs website and watch the video(s). I've put them on 3 boats... so, I guess, I think they are super.

richg99

https://nauticusinc.com/

richg99 said:
I am not saying that the hydrofoil won't help. Heck, for $15.00 I'd give it a try.

But, even if it works very well ( I hope that it does) ....& before you think that you've got your boat to its best possible setup...do go to the Smart Tabs website and watch the video(s). I've put them on 3 boats... so, I guess, I think they are super.

richg99

https://nauticusinc.com/

You think it's worth it on a small 14ft v hull?

i had a foil on my 20hp fourstroke. did not make much difference. i took it off and gained 3 mph on top end. and yes you will always want more

If my boat wouldn't quite get up on plane, I might consider giving up the e start for the extra 5hp in order to get on plane. But since yours gets on plane, I'd probably stick with the e start and look for something with an added 10-15 hp over what you have now if you're going to look for more power.

I take it there are no 10hp restricted lakes in your area that you have any intention of visiting? 9.9 gets you in pretty much everywhere that allows a gas motor.

Yep. Foils have been known to lower speeds.

Tabs, (any tabs), on the other hand do not kill speed. They do maximize the slow speeds with which you can plane; stop porpoising; get you up on plane quicker, and smooth the ride. Guess I like them, huh!

richg99

onthewater102 said:
I take it there are no 10hp restricted lakes in your area that you have any intention of visiting? 9.9 gets you in pretty much everywhere that allows a gas motor.

Most of the good fishing lakes are 5mph/no wake, which is why the 9.9 is so good. There are 2 lakes and the Missouri River (haha don't think I'm going on that in a 14ft with a 9.9.... Or even a 15!!!) That I can go and open it up... But those 2 lakes are mainly full of carp, gar, and catfish.

richg99 said:
Yep. Foils have been known to lower speeds.

Tabs, (any tabs), on the other hand do not kill speed. They do maximize the slow speeds with which you can plane; stop porpoising; get you up on plane quicker, and smooth the ride. Guess I like them, huh!

richg99

I don't know if I'm ready to sink the $ into tabs! Sheesh!

Latest posts