Gollygeewhiz..250hrs and fiber reeds are shot..

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinkingfast

Reaction score
I installed fiber reeds on my 9.9/15omc in April during a total rebuild. 250 hours later and it won't start easy, fuel in the airbox, screwie jetting and no idle. And barking out of the carb...

Was going to tear it down this winter again for other mods so this forced my hand. Back to my 18ft canoe with a f2.5 yami...

Anybody else with little hours and blown fiber reeds? I expected 1000 hours or so..

Are Boyesen and the likes fiber? If so they are advertised as only having a life of something like 20 hours aren't they? Granted that is for racing applications at some seriously high rpms but I would imagine a typical life for general use is still only double digit hours. Just a guess though.

I was just going to say, 250 hours seems like a lot of hours. But then again, I only use my rig twice a week from Feb through Nov and average 40 running hours a year.

Yea..The wife and I have taken the boat out about 2 hours every day since the middle of April. Maybe missed 6 days par month.

CC reeds new in April. Now I have a decision to make...try boyesen or go back to stock.

What would you do? We boat from April to mid November couple hours per day on average.

I did like the reeds and it is a good company as i called asking about the shim and someone answered the phone! Holy crap...

Since we put on a lot of time on the motor I'll probably go back to steel. I haven't opened up the motor yet so I'm not sure how they failed.

Latest posts