Deck Material Aluminum vs Wood

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why use lumber for bracing if using plywood for decking??? Use AL angle. A lot of times when I come on this forum it seems to me that people are always using way more than they need to. 3/4" plywood will support an elephant for crying out loud, 1/2" is more than enough. 3/8" AL, man come on are you trying to make the thing bullet proof. :) Anyway don't over do it. A little bracing might be, might be, necessary if you have a large deck but, usually there will be a hole for access and bracing will be necessary anyway. Use the AL angle for bracing and 1/2" ply for decking, yes AL is better but, I kind of like the ply because it helps to quiet the boat down, I epoxied my wood which is costly but it will last for a long long time. I also don't like carpet so I added non skid and it is done. I do need to put some non skid vinyl or something on my seats though they get hot as heck in the sun. Have fun and customize your rig the way you want it, just don't over do it, keep it simple.

Oh yea, wood needs to be sealed on both sides, not just the top side. And edges too.

Latest posts