First Post! Middle of a V Hull resto; decking questions.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fish hooks

Reaction score
Hello guys! fish hooks here. So I'm rounding the corner to getting the boat in the water and thought I'd catch you guys up on the work so far.

I purchased the boat back in December of 2015. It had been sitting on a consignment shops property for 14 years, apparently the original owner had passed. The tenant of the land sold it to me without a title for $300. I couldn't pass it up, (or let it go to the dump). It was quite a joy getting the title transferred I must say.

Demo was quite fun after it had been sitting for all those years. I removed the entire interior only saving the transom (for tracing) and the seats.

Just a quick look at the inside
https://youtu.be/s5q_yceu4ZQ

It had so much paint on it I decided to get it media blasted.

Bad idea or good, I'm still not sure. It cleaned the boat very well, but left many small pin holes all across the bottom. Against many opinions, I still decided to continue with the project.

I patched the holes with Upol Fiberal and finished it with Doplin Glaze, (making sure to feather the edges). I noticed it would start to "delaminate" if i hadn't.

I then sealed the entire underside with Pettit Alumaprotect 2 part epoxy, 3 coats, then Pettit Protect, only yielding two coats.

Next, I Tiger Sealed the entire floor. This stuff is crazy strong and weatherproof. Its a poly urethane adhesive so after cleaning and sanding the floor, it stuck no problem.

More sanding on the sides of the interior and then I etched primed it. I next used Upol Raptor liner to cover the sides. I purchased the tintable kit and went with a light gray. After getting some overspray from painting the rim of the boat, I'm considering raptor lining the floor as well.

Me applying some Raptor liner.
https://youtu.be/3Uev8r2Md9w

Today I put two final coats of Interlux VC Offshore over the gray. Its a durable, smooth finish used mostly on sailboats.

As of now, I have an Acrylic Urethane paint I will be stripping the top with to finish the exterior.

The trailer is in great shape, probably just some attention to the rollers would do it. It came with a 1988 20hp Mercury which is getting a tune up. I'm on the second coat of clear on the transom, pictures to come!

I am more than sure I will need advice on setting up the decking. I plan to keep it simple with a large platform up front and a bench in the back. Thank you for any help :)

What has been the most popular source for building a custom deck? Where is it safe to attach it? Im curious about putting a livewell in the front of the boat after that first bracing, should it be more centrally located?

fish hooks said:
What has been the most popular source for building a custom deck? Where is it safe to attach it? Im curious about putting a livewell in the front of the boat after that first bracing, should it be more centrally located?
I'd say most a building their superstructure by angle aluminum suspended off the sides of the hull and using the seats as additional support. 1/8" angle seems to be the choice.

Some appear to be using wood framing while others go all aluminum, depends on your skills and what you can find locally, as well as what tooling you may have to support riveted or welded structures, etc.

Decks are mostly plywood with a few here using tin plate. Again i'd say budget, tooling/capability and availability dependent. Just don't use pressure treated wood anywhere and if you do use wood, seal it properly. Many methods used here, so I don't have a comment for one over the other, although I have my own preference.

fish hooks said:
What a warm welcome.
Ahhhhhh yeah, well the same type of thing has happened to me before, others too ... and I believe that when one puts a lot of detail and pictures into their post, some just skim it and miss the part where you may have been asking for help or other kind of questions or concerns.

An elaborate or detailed posting almost gives the impression that ... "you know what you're doing ..."

So be like a 'tin boat' ... don't have a thick skin :lol: Welcome aboard!

Project looks like it's coming along great, hope to see more updates as you get it finished. As for the "warm welcome", I'm still relatively new around here, but I've found that it can take a while to get replies as I'm guessing members are out fishing or boating and not surfing the web constantly. For updates on your project, you might find replies come a little slower; there's only so many "great job" posts that are useful. I've been following most of the project threads on here, but don't usually comment unless I think I have something beneficial to add.

If you have a specific question, it might be best to post it under it's own thread and just keep a thread running for your project updates. Afraid I'm not much help, since I've never framed a deck out for a fishing boat.

That being said, welcome aboard and I look forward to seeing your completed project; seems like it's coming along very well. Wish I'd had access to a spray booth for my paint work.

Looks good!
And don't worry, I'm pretty new here too. I don't have a tone of comments on my build page yet either. (except from engineered, he's commented a few times, thanks!) I figure most guys are busy with fishing right now.. Tis the season anyways..
But anyways do you know yet what material you're going to use for the deck frame and such? Wood or aluminum? I'm trying to decide that whist I save up for glut and paint...

Hey thanks guys for the replies! It has been a lot of fun, learning as I go, about each new project. I'm getting closer and closer to putting it in the water and catching some bass! I think I'm gonna do the aluminum rail up front. A friend of mine is a great welder so I'm gonna get his opinion first.

As for the paint booths, I delivered Auto paint everywhere in town and made a lot of friends. The color is actually getting put on right now and I'll pick it up the morning.

Sorry to get a little bratty, but I put a lot of work into my first post and when you see its has 81 views and no replies it hurts a little haha. So thank you very much for the comments and I will definitely keep everyone posted!

Latest posts