Transom Plate/Pad

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weweber3

Reaction score
I know this is just like cutting board material... https://mud-skipper.com/accessories/transom-pad.html

Anyone use something like this (bolted through hull + 3M5200) on their boat?

Application is bow mount trolling motor or <10 HP outboard.

Have used HDPE or LDPE (same as cutting board material) on many a small tin skiff as OB mounts at my boatclub. 6 or more maybe? No problems with any. We don't use trolling motors in the salt, so I can't comment.

TIP - Drill hole for fasteners over-size (e.g., 5/16" for 1/4" bolt) as those plastics move quite a bit with thermal changes ... high expansion/contraction properties.

DaleH said:
Have used HDPE or LDPE (same as cutting board material) on many a small tin skiff as OB mounts at my boatclub. 6 or more maybe? No problems with any. We don't use trolling motors in the salt, so I can't comment.

TIP - Drill hole for fasteners over-size (e.g., 5/16" for 1/4" bolt) as those plastics move quite a bit with thermal changes ... high expansion/contraction properties.

Are you filling the holes with the 3M marine caulk to fill up the gap? Seems like a no-brainer to do this to save the transom wood inside and out... especially when the transom wood is not easily replaced. I have seen some metal plates for this application, but cannot find anywhere to buy, hence the HDPE/LDPE.

weweber3 said:
Are you filling the holes with the 3M marine caulk to fill up the gap?
I did not, as my wood was fully sealed, actually encapsulated in marine epoxy. Even where I drilled through for the bolts, the wood holes were oversized and filled w/ epoxy, then drilled through for the bolts.

You could use any goop to seal them, but be AWARE that some silicone products contain acetic acid and shouldn't be used anywhere near aluminum.

Latest posts