Rustoleum deck restore

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdrh99

Reaction score
Not trying to start another paint vs carpet thread... But....I was dead set on paint, then I thought carpet would look nicer, now I have a chance to get a 3 gallon bucket of rustoleum deck restore, very nice gray color. I can get that for $10 and have enough to do all the flat floors/decks in the boat with plenty left over. Anyone ever used it?

I've used it on my duck boat. It sticks good to wood. But, it's hard to roll on aluminum and peels off after a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used that product on my wood deck and still find I need to re-topcoat it every 2-3 years to keep it looking nice. Even power washed the deck and did all the cleaning steps they require. Have had similar results using a premium Behr product that on fences is "labeled to last 8-years" ... well after 5-years of weather exposure and it looks like it need a re-coat.

If it's one thing I've learned on boats ... paint ONCE and you'll be painting FOREVER!

For boats and especially longevity, I don't think one can do any better than marine vinyl. I mean look at this ... 20-years old and put on a mooring in the salt 24/7 for all those years and the vinyl flooring is still sound and looks good! Carpet at 20-years would look like crap ... and is heavy!

Attachments

• Beached at Sandy Point.jpg
    Beached at Sandy Point.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 937
Lonedrake said:
I've used it on my duck boat. It sticks good to wood. But, it's hard to roll on aluminum and peels off after a while.

Nope.... Wood surfaces only!

DaleH said:
I've used that product on my wood deck and still find I need to re-topcoat it every 2-3 years to keep it looking nice. Even power washed the deck and did all the cleaning steps they require. Have had similar results using a premium Behr product that on fences is "labeled to last 8-years" ... well after 5-years of weather exposure and it looks like it need a re-coat.

If it's one thing I've learned on boats ... paint ONCE and you'll be painting FOREVER!

For boats and especially longevity, I don't think one can do any better than marine vinyl. I mean look at this ... 20-years old and put on a mooring in the salt 24/7 for all those years and the vinyl flooring is still sound and looks good! Carpet at 20-years would look like crap ... and is heavy!

I've looked at the vinyl before...$$$$$

This stuff I get for $10! And I'll re coat every couple years!

No matter what, moisture and shoed feet moving about will cause the paint to flake, chip, peel. Tight quarters of a boat means higher traffic and it won't last anywhere near as long as on a wood deck on your house. Even bedliner and epoxy don't stand up, no matter what they claim. Although the Cabela's brand Tuff-Coat has held up really well in my small duck boat.

I'm on my 3rd season with the rustoleum. I will keep recoating as needed. Way cheaper than carpet or vinyl.

I am a big proponent of painting. Although not Rustoleum, I used Behr porch and deck paint on my boat. Cleaning is just a spray with a garden hose, as mentioned it's much cheaper than vinyl and holds up well. When it's time to repaint (every 3rd season) it literally takes 5 minutes to roll another coat on and that is just to refresh it mostly due to a few scuff marks.

Latest posts