Best way to work on the inside of the boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fishmonger said:
weweber3 said:
Suburban development living doesn't allow me to have a nice outbuilding like that. Boy, that would be nice.

I hear that, after 40 years of living in the country my wife decided we should live in a HOA community ... sure do miss my old barn !

I miss mine too and never had one. Lucky thing too :mrgreen:

I think I'm kind of stating the obvious, but what the heck. I assume your boat is relatively light. If you work on the inside with the boat on the trailer it is a really good idea to hook the trailer to your tow vehicle, or place a brace from the ground to the transom. If you don't, make sure you stay forward of the trailer axle.

I had problems coming up with ideas for this too. What I did was take 3 long 2x4's and then attach 2 smaller ones on top on the edges, kinda making a "V" shape for the keel to sit in. I then just laid a few towels down in the center. Put one in the back, one in the middle, and then one in the front (modified it a bit as mine is a deep V). Works great for stepping in and out of and you can adjust accordingly.

Just finished up an aluminum bass boat rig yesterday. Had to put 4 batteries, 12 gal tank, on board charger and a ton of wiring back under the rear compartment and there's no easy way to get into the front of it to gain access either on or off the trailer. At first I just climbed in there, feet sticking out of the back of the boat and did what I could. Then as I got out of it for the umpteenth time, I realized that I could use the creeper to get in there better. It worked excellent. Topside creeper that is.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200360239_200360239

That link is similar to the one I have.

I do have a jet ski dolly outside that would work pretty good for moving a boat around in the shop though. Maybe even in the yard. It's not very long so you'd have to balance it, but it'd work great to slide the boat off the trailer and then work on the trailer, or boat.

"a jet ski dolly"

You are one lucky guy! It would be great to have some of the nice tools that I see on these pages. Guess I am stuck with a step ladder (to get in and out). My old bones will just have to bend for a while longer.

Richg99

Latest posts