They call me crazy for a reason

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazyboat

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I've always wanted to do this but would like your thoughts.

We can't help but notice that the toons on pontoon boats these days are getting larger in diameter, just to do one day after I retire I want to cut 2 of them open and drop in a jet ski engine and drive. If I get real crazy I could even go trip's on that bad boy. My biggest concern is if I went hard into a turn and one toon lifted clear of the water I could over-rev her (rev limiter anyone).

What are your thoughts on this wonderful idea of mine? Say anything you like. I have no emotion in this idea of mine.

Recently I have seen pictures of old bomber drop tanks being used as a boat with a long tail motor.

Can't really be too much different than WW2 drop tanks being used for Bonneville salt cars. Cut it horizontally, build in a safety cage/frame, use what you like, and will fit for a drivetrain, and try to go fast on the salt.
Go for it. Start today, keeping an eye out for a single pontoon. Mount outriggers for stability.

Wait.....I just re-read your post. I looks like you want to put jet drives in both 'toons. I thought you were going for something fast on the water using a sinlge 'toon.
Not a bad idea, but you're going to have to allow for a servicing access panel, and a way to seal up said panel.
Lifting a 'toon is a consideration, but I'm not so sure you'd be able to do that in a turn. There's an awfully wide stance on those things. Now, breaking water jumping a wake might be more feasable.

Roger

Submitting a drawing would help a lot. How are you gonna install a jet drive between 2 pontoons? 1 pontoon would not be stable.
Tim

Not a single jet drive, 1 drive in each toon, like a twin engine set up only with jet drives.

I'm thinking a hinged access panel on the toons with a good locking rubber gasket to keep water out.

I think it could be doable, with separate throttles you could steer by more/less throttle on the port/starboard engine w no need for a rudder/ers. But if one engine conked out you'd only turn wide circles. On second thought, having the pontoons sealed w a hatch/rubber could could turn them into long,shiny cylinder bombs w gas fumes trapped in them. That's why inboards have blowers and vents. I doubt you could get the boat certified, it would be deemed to dangerous.

"They call me crazy for a reason"

Yes, Yes...I agree. Now I understand. THEY are right.

Dream on. You can do anything you want, but you may need a private lake on which to run it, so you don't kill more than yourself.

Ha Ha richg99

Latest posts