Whytie's 16ft Naden

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whytie

Reaction score
Well I finally decided to post some photo's of my work in progress.

last year I purchased a 16ft Naden boat with a 25 hp merc. similar to the photo here (I didn't take any before shots :shock: )
16ft%20naden.jpg

I just started working on it last weekend and the plan is to add a casting deck, raise the back bench, carpet the floors and build a little command centre for my electronics. I live in Saskatchewan so there is slim picking when it comes to marine parts and when you do find them they are about double in price.

so far here's my progress. I'm about halfway done framing the casting deck.
naden%20framing.jpg

Looking good. Did you add the wood at the front top and are you going to coat the wood. The first pic looks like a 14ft?

water bouy said:
Looking good. Did you add the wood at the front top and are you going to coat the wood. The first pic looks like a 14ft?

yeah the photo is a 14ft Naden couldn't find a good photo of the interior of a 16ft one. Naden went out of business a few years ago after the down turn in the Canadian and American economy. which is too bad they were one of the few who made thick walled boats. As for the exposed wood I'll be adding carpet to the top. I've already bought a few goodies for the boat once the flooring and deck is in. looking to add cupholders, navigational lights, rod holders, fishfinder ram mount, and a few others.

Had a very productive weekend. was able to get the flooring done for the most part. Raised the back bench to allow for a casting deck in the back and to add extra storage for the gas tank. Added some carpet and hatches to the front. Hoping to get the trolling motor hooked up and finish off the front.

carpeted and rear seat raised.

front casting deck

rear storage with floor protection

rear hatch/deck

going to need to do a bit of shimming to level it off properly

an overall view

Are you leaving that rubber mats with the holes in them, in the hull? I used them for a season and made the decision that they were just too darn heavy.

Nice hull! Looks like it will be a super fun 14-footer!

still on the fence about that one. I wanted it in the front since that is where I will be storing my anchor. I don't want it to bounce around too much. I may cut some of it down to reduce weight or take the one out of the hatch area.

You definitely need to coat the wood with something such as spar varnish. If you don't the wood will rot out eventually(who knows how long) but will immediately absorb water making it heavier than it already is. I would even do your framing but at minimum I would definitely do the decks. For under the deck you should just put a piece of scrap carpet instead of the rubber mat. I think it will do the same thing you are hoping the the mats will do with prolly half the weight.

right now most of the flooring will be removed at a later date once I have more time I'll be adding in a livewell in the future. Right now I'm trying to determine where to put my trolling motor battery as it doesn't fit under the front deck very well. on the plus side I can still go about 22mph with a 25hp motor according to my fish finder and it catches fish.

Now you've done it! You've proven that it catches fish exactly like it is. Any further changes will probably curse the fish catching ability of the boat. You have to leave everything exactly as you have it. Or, suffer the consequences. risky decision time... finish the boat and hope not to anger the fish gods... or leave it unfinished and continue success...

That's a tough decision... best of luck whatever you decide to do!

Hey Whitey, nice to see a fellow Saskatchewanite on here. Boat looks good and so does the fish. Which lake did you pull that one out of.

Hey Stomper, Caught this one out of Iroquois lake near Blaine lake. I set up my trolling motor the night before so it was good to see it worked out in my favor to catch that fish :D .

Latest posts