Looking at buying this motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CedarRiverScooter

Reaction score
side2.jpg

8 hp.

Any +'s or negatives?

The one I am looking at is 30+ years old.

it would be backup motor for my jet jon. Looking for reliability!

Thanks

Id buy it. Looks like it one with the Yamaha head. Take a compression tester.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Has it been used in the salt or fresh? Look for rust or corrosion on an engine with that much age. Pull the plug and see what you find.

Asking price? Is the seller the original owner, how old is he/she? If you can go to the sellers house for a test run look at the garage, see how neat and orderly they are, it often translates to how they care for the good they own.

Good luck

Get the serial number and look up the parts. If the parts say buy FORCE motor parts, specially the CDI power pack or ignition parts ... RUN away!

They are like Lucas Electronics... they work one day and NOT the next ...

It was a Yamaha power head. $430 asking.

I decided to pass, because I looked up repair parts & most of them are NLA. Don't want to have a minor issue & end up having to scrap it.

Going back to looking for an OMC.

Well, this one popped up on CL today & I couldn't resist!

1946 Johnson 2.5 hp. Runs like a champ. The guy I bought it from restores OBs for a hobby, he had to make room for a new batch he is getting in.

I hope it pushes my jet jon faster than the trolling motor I have been using for backup. (which has come into play)

Did I read that it is best to run the carb dry between usages?

vintage motor.jpg

DaleH said:
Get the serial number and look up the parts. If the parts say buy FORCE motor parts, specially the CDI power pack or ignition parts ... RUN away!

They are like Lucas Electronics... they work one day and NOT the next ...

Come on give Lucas some credit for innovation. After all he invented intermittent wipers and hazard flashers. :wink:

Latest posts