Wetlander 3L System

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabeskillzz05

Reaction score
Read a bunch about this product and decided it was something I wanted to do. Pulled the trigger last week and ordered the 3 layer system for boats up to 100 sq. ft. in the desert tan color.

Boat is a 1752 with 50 Yamaha. Bottom paint was in poor shape with about 30% of it missing.

Decided that I would be rolling it on since I don't have experience spraying. Flipped the boat upside down on the trailer and stripped the hull down to bare aluminum. The ribs were the worst part. Used an orbital sander for the flat areas and it took the paint off easily.

First day we stripped the bottom and did the first layer. Tonight we did the second layer. I don't have any pics of the second layer because it looks the same as the first. The second layer did fisheye as was noted in the directions but rolling over it again made it go away. There was enough in the kit to get 2 thin coats on. We had a small amount left over from the second primer so I rolled it on a decoy sled I had laying around. Not sure if it will stick, if not it doesn't really matter.

I will post more pictures tomorrow after final coat.

Stripped down and taped

Layer 1 after 24hours. Seems darker than the color patches on the website. Maybe the topcoat will be lighter. It looks like the "part b" for each layer is a slightly different color and will most likely change the color some I would assume.

Nice. I'm wanting to do this to my boat but will have to wait till next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too am wanting to do this to my boat 18/56 Alweld with a 250 pro xs not going to be able to flip it so I will have to figure out a way to get it off the trailer. I might go a little up the sides with mine. What kind of roller did you use? Was there enough of both primers to do 2 coats?

Mike

Tonight we lightly scuffed the second coat and then wiped it down with a damp cloth. We mixed the top coat together and started applying it with the roller. This coat fish eyed very very badly. I've never seen anything like it. For the first 15 minutes I was really nervous that something was wrong. We kept going back over the fisheyed sections until they started to smooth out and adhere evenly. So far this coat did not come out as smooth as the first two, it looks like there is a very small texted to it, mainly from the fisheye. I would assume that if it was sprayed on it would be better but it is what it is now.

I would advise anyone doing this to have at least 2 people. The paint only has a 1 hour pot life and it is pretty spot on. When it hits the time frame it justs gets tacky. I would never have been able to do the entire hull myself in 1 hour. I wish I had a third person just to chase the fisheye and work on the ribs. The ribs were the hardest part to get paint on.

Sully: we had been using the foam rollers up to this point but switched to short nap rollers. The short nap seemed to work out the fisheye better. The first two layers I did have enough for 2 thin coats. The third coat I think went slightly further just because it was going onto a smooth surface and not filling any scratches. I went up the sides about 3/4" on mine.

Here is a picture of it after we finished. I am anxious to see how it looks/feels after it is cured. The weather has been nice here so I drag it out into the yard when I leave for work and let it bake in the sun.

I emailed Scott from Wetlander about the texture finish that I got from the final coat.
He said That textured appearance is a function of the silicone in a waterborne chemistry; it is perfectly normal and expected.

Now I just have to wait a few days for it to cure.

So my understanding is that you put on 2 thin coats of both primers and 1 coat of the finish coat.

Maybe when I do mine I should mix half of the finish coat at a time because I will be laying under the boat to do it.

Would the short nap roller have helped with the fisheye if you would have started with it? Just curious!

Mike

There was enough topcoat for two thin layers as well, it's just harder to tell because you have to keep rolling over everything.

I would recommend only mixing half at a time especially if you are doing it alone.

I only used the foam roller for a minute and switched to the short nap, it was deffinitely better.

Looks good. My hull is in the shop being welded up. As soon as they get done with it I am flipping it over in the driveway and using the Wetlander. I already have the 3L system here waiting. I bought a 3M spray gun and plan to spray it on and go up to the first rib on the sides.

I will post a thread when mine is done, hope it works well. All the reviews I read were excellent and Scott seems great to work with, he answered my questions very quickly.

First primer did not fisheye at all
Second layer primer did a little bit
The top coat was the layer that did it the worst.

I flipped the boat back over last night and put it on the trailer. I put new bunk boards on the trailer and new carpet. It deffinitely winches up much easier than it did before. Only got the motor put on and running tonight. Hopefully I can hit the lake tomorrow.

I plan on fine tuning my motor height. It wasn't exactly where it needed to be but worked most of the time. Also plan on running up to NY to do some salmon fishing this weekend, pics to follow.

gabeskillzz05 said:
I flipped the boat back over last night and put it on the trailer. I put new bunk boards on the trailer and new carpet. It deffinitely winches up much easier than it did before. Only got the motor put on and running tonight. Hopefully I can hit the lake tomorrow.

I plan on fine tuning my motor height. It wasn't exactly where it needed to be but worked most of the time. Also plan on running up to NY to do some salmon fishing this weekend, pics to follow.

Great news!! Keep us posted.

Well we went to NY fishing but there was hardly any water in the river. Can't really say much about the wetlander so far since I was just putting around. I did hit a few pieces of concrete at slow speed and it took the coating off, I was not expecting it to hold up to that though.

Goes off the trailer really easy but also is a pain to put back on because it keeps sliding back down.

Still trying to get the motor height dialed in.

c201f4fcfee5587eca1234d438dff4be.jpg

Just started the process on mine!

3a2ca6f63e63d252ae5c5a2b475d8dee.jpg

Pretty easy application. Gonna put one more coat on it tomorrow then let it sit while we're away for the holidays. I'll be smashing it up in no time though.

I have a couple tanks of gas through the boat now with the new bottom coating. I didn't notice much of a top speed difference from before. It does push off of anything pretty easy including the trailer. I've put some decent scratches in it from hitting large rocks or concrete chunks but you can't expect any coating to stop something like this.

Twc4 said:
3a2ca6f63e63d252ae5c5a2b475d8dee.jpg

Pretty easy application. Gonna put one more coat on it tomorrow then let it sit while we're away for the holidays. I'll be smashing it up in no time though.

What kind of hull is that? I've never seen a tunnel shaped like that one. Is it a custom tunnel?

Latest posts