Newbie Preparing to work

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hockeyref18

Reaction score
Hello all,
I currently have a 14 ft deep v hull with a 9.9 Mercury. I will be putting the following in my boat and need help knowing what I need and how many batteries.

1. 1000 gph Bilge Pump
2. Minn Kota Trolling Motor
3. Phone charging outlet
4. Navigation light on both bow and stern
5. AM/FM radio
6. Marine ship to shore radio
7. Compass
8. Lights inside of boat LED
9. Fish Finder

I plan on using switches to operate most of these electronics. What would I need in order to do that? What's a good switch can board? I am just really confused on the electrical side of things whereas the construction part of the boat is easy for me. I sincerely appreciate all the responses.

Thanks,
Robert

I think first off, you need to list specifics of your trolling motor....12V or 24V, and thrust. Also, is your motor electric start?

I'd go with 1 large deep cycle for lights, radio, etc. 1(or 2) for the trolling motor, then a separate small motorcycle battery for starting(if electric start)

That is a long list for a 14-foot boat.

But, your boat, your money, your choice.

I have a 1652 G3 with an electric start; tilt/trim 50 hp motor and a 55 lb thrust MinnKota trolling motor. I have a 650 ( I think) bilge pump; a phone charger; nav lights; Fish Finder; and lights inside of the boat. I also have a live-bait/well. Two pumps, one to aerate and one to pump water in and out.

I get away just fine with only two batteries. One regular starter and one deep cycle.

I do not run the trolling motor all day as I arrange to simply drift my shorelines a lot. I use two drift chutes/anchor chutes to slow her down.

Before you start buying batteries, you might want to accurately measure the space available for whatever you wind up with. It doesn't matter one bit what someone thinks you should have .....if you can't fit it into your craft.

Also, batteries are the d@#$% heaviest things that we haul around. Placement of those batteries and the wiring necessary to get them to do their jobs properly are a constant conversation on this site. Too much weight in the stern ( constant complaint) will screw up your ability to plane.

I don't have items 5 through 7. I suspect that the compass would draw very little current. Would you be running the two radios all of the time ....or are they only drawing current when used sporadically?

Tell us more.... regards, richg99

5. AM/FM radio
6. Marine ship to shore radio
7. Compass

Minus the AM/FM radio, I have all that on my 14' StarCraft. I think my bilge is 500gph or thereabouts. My motor is electric start, no tilt/trim. Anyway, I run it all with a single, group 29 deep cycle battery.

Latest posts