Hairline cracks around rivet

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aircraft Spurce website has some engr notes/guidance IIRC on shear strength and rivet spacing, but I personally copy/model/use what the original hull maker used for their rivet spacing for my repair work.

Don't re-invent the wheel ... just COPY it!

FYI, a properly drilled hole and bucked solid rivet needs no goop applied to seal them ... but we all do it ...

DaleH said:
Aircraft Spurce website has some engr notes/guidance IIRC on shear strength and rivet spacing, but I personally copy/model/use what the original hull maker used for their rivet spacing for my repair work.

Don't re-invent the wheel ... just COPY it!

FYI, a properly drilled hole and bucked solid rivet needs no goop applied to seal them ... but we all do it ...

Dale that's what I was thinking. Right above my patch is where the side piece of the hull is riveted to the bottom of the hull and they are spaced close together and staggered. After I got the holes drilled thru the patch and hull I got to thinking these are more rivets than necessary.

If you're using the proper size and style of rivet tool for those rivets and still getting those circles around the base of them, I'd guess your air pressure is set too high. Might be high enough for the heads of the rivets to smash down and deform outwards, if that makes sense. Then your subsequent hits with the air gun puts the little circle in them.

FWIW, when I set my air gun for rivets I'll take it to a piece of non pressure treated 2x4. I'm looking for the tool to just make an indention in the wood. If it smashes through the wood the pressure is too high, if it doesn't dent the wood, the pressure is too low. My compressor is old and the gauge isn't very accurate. So I do this every time I start a rivet job on my boat.

Latest posts