Need help with casting deck

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holatim

Reaction score
Hey I am new too the Jon boat world i just got a 12 ft vhull and would like too build a casting desk on the front .i took out the front seat too make room room for the casting but I am too handy when it comes too building it I was seeing if someone could help me out with it I live in Lilburn Ga close bass pro shops if any of you guys could help me out thanks Tim

Wecome aboard. Lots of projects to get ideas from in the forums. If you want it done try https://www.fishonfabrications.com/index.html

Hola, Tim!!
I have been to Lilburn many times. I have a friend that lives there.
If you can post a photo of your boat and some more information,
you will get so much help from this forum it will be a breeze for you to do it yourself.
Personally, a 12 foot boat is unstable as it is - - - once you start building stuff on it,
it can get rather squirley when you least expect it.
You may want to consider a slightly raised floor vs a raised deck.
Have you read through any of the threads that deal with modifying a 12foot boat ???

and, WELCOME ABOARD !!

I live in Lilburn ga need help building casting deck something like this

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 1,371
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 1,371
Do you mean you are looking for someone to physically help you build the deck?

Johnny is correct that adding any deck to such a small boat will make it less stable than before.

Perhaps there is someone here who lives close to you and will volunteer to help you decide the best course. Hope so.

regards, richg99

Yes someone physically help me design a casting deck not that handy when it comes to designing and building stuff I know that it will make it less stable I fished out of the 12 foot johnboat with the casting deck and I was planning stable for me I live in the Lilburn Georgia area close to Bass Pro Shop but travel to Roswell ga Alpharetta area weekly thanks Tim

Cannot find any identification of what brand this boat may be

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,366
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,366
Construction appears to be similar to this boat. Described as a 1967 Sears:

resize.php

Starting too work on deck for my boat I heard that pt plywood is ok and some guys don't use only use marine what's everyone's input on this thanks tim

The chemicals in pressure treated woods will leech out and corrode aluminum - don't use it.

Regular plywood (available in many grades and price ranges) is fine, but fully coat or encapsulate it to prevent water intrusion.

If you use plywood, ( I used some on mine) just be sure to get Exterior grade. Any plywood that has an X in its description is Exterior grade. i.e. ACX BCX ABX etc.

richg99

p.s. As Dale has already said..... DO NOT USE TREATED lumber or plywood.

I was trying too find some deck framing lay out pics just trying too get a good pic of good lay out before I start my build so if any you guys got any good pics please post them thanks

Tim, if you are having trouble with the actual construction process with design, function and safety,
just start making some simple pencil sketches of what you would like to see in your boat.
then, cut some cardboard and start mocking up the plan to see how you like it.
Cardboard is cheaper than cutting plywood only to find out it is not what you envisioned.
cardboard pattern.jpg
It is very difficult for anyone with limited woodworking and metalworking experience
and hand tools to get started in the right direction.
If you need a visual tutorial of how to get started, try viewing some boat mod videos on the
good old YouTube . . . there are many good videos of how to get started, what tools
and materials to use, and so forth..... this may help you understand the process required
to make your boat like you want it and make it SAFE........

go to: https://www.youtube.com and put "boat casting deck build" in the search box.

we hope you can make a really great project out of your boat

some of the hand tools you must have (more or less).
hammers of different sizes
hand drill with assorted size bits
hack saw
coping saw
jig saw with wood and metal blades
skil saw with carbide teeth
pliers and wrenches
saw horses - milk crates -
cardboard for patterns
whole bunch of stainless screws, nuts and bolts, yada yada yada
and this is by far NOT the entire list (other members will add more)
and above all, you need a PLAN
and PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE
and - don't get frustrated if things don't fit the first time.
if you bite off more than you can chew - slow down, take a breath and regroup.
Photos of what you are asking questions about help enormously.

good luck !!

Got all the tools my friend owns a wood shop just trying too find a good deck frame lay out that I like close too my boat

Tim, is there a marina, boat launch or boat yard in your area
that you can visit and maybe get some ideas ?
Did you google V Hull Jon Bass images or V Hull Casting Deck ??
I see hundreds and hundreds of very fine examples there.
https://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-forums/topic/19235-able-to-put-a-deckfloor-in-a-14-v-hull/
is just one example..........

your carpenter friend may have the skill to design something for you and help with the fabrication.
A good woodworker is an invaluable asset when it comes to messing around with old boats.

how about a trailer ? how will you be getting your boat to the water?
If your plan is to transport your boat in the back of a truck, once you
start adding all that wood and weight, it could be a LOT of work.

Latest posts