Tcw 3 oil smell

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobeb

Reaction score
I just opened up my half used Royal purple 2 stroke oil that I use in my merc and wow what an ammonia smell it had,the gallon is not even 6 months opened and I opened my other bottle to compare and it also had the same smell just not as bad yet. Is this normal because I guess I never really paid attention to it to much till now. I have read that the higher end oils have this smell but I just want to make sure it's safe to put in my engine before using anymore. It seems to be working extremely well I just never noticed how strong a smell it had,it nearly knocked my socks off,lol. I have pennzoil full synthetic tcw 3 oil and it doesn't smell like this but it smells good like Play-Doh,lol. I read were the evinrude oils smell like this and merc oil as well,but again I just want to double and triple check it's ok,thanks for any info.

I have been reading that the chemicals that make up the oil from being ashless is what that smell is,any truth or facts to this that anyone knows about this or has heard of this? As long as I know this won't hurt my outboard from this point forward then I will use the gallon and a half I have left of it then go to the pennzoil full synthetic permanently or possibly the super tech oil from Walmart that works great as well and is 1/3 the price.

I mean they are literally brand new bottles. Funny thing is I have fully synthetic pennzoil oil as well but it smells yummy,like Play-Doh, lol. No ammonia smell there. It almost made my toes curl when I opened the bottle up,I felt like I was high it was so strong,lol. Well I figured it should be ok as well,I just never experienced anything like that before so it caught me off guard. Thanks for the info.

:shock: Wow, I just took a big whiff of my Quicksilver synthetic and when it hit me, I almost fell over! It has a very strong ammonia smell. My oil is 1 or 2 years old and I've been using it all summer with no problems. I never noticed the smell when I was premixing the gas, but that's probably because I mix it at the boat which is outside at the dock.

JLBJEFF,well that confirms that our oil is alike in smell anyways,crazy huh,it's so strong it nearly curled my toes up in my shoes ,lol. I kept saying to myself did my cat piss on my oil or what because that's what it literally smelled like. I was like holy cow this is so **** strong, I nearly fell over from getting like a dizzy spell from taking a whiff,lol. I never ever noticed that smell from any oil but again I never just took a whiff like I did yesterday. I guess that's what I get for sniffing my oil,lol. I do know my ROYAL PURPLE lubricates as good as it comes so that is why I bought it. I'm in love with the RP lower unit oil, imo it can't be beat as that stuff is so strong and leaves an intense film on all the lower unit gears and even protects with up to 10% water in it and I believe that 100%. The stuff is so darn slippery. I have washed my hands several times with dawn soap and even after like 5 washes you can still smell the oil on your hands. May be a bit pricey but for $15 that will do my 25hp lower unit oil refill near 3 times makes it well worth the best protection available,the only other lower unit oil i would trust is the merc HIGH PERFORMANCE GREY BOTTLE WITH THE YELLOW ON IT.again imo only. I'm sure other oils work great im just talking about what I've used or researched for my own personal use. Thanks for the info on the merc oil smelling the same,puts me,at ease a bit. The reason I'm partial towards the Royal purple lower unit oil is I have had a lower unit that was just a bit noisy,actually brand new,nothing bad,just that breaking in of the gears noise when turning the prop by hand,I drained the lower unit oil that came with the engine and refilled it with the RP and the prop turned like butter and no noise was heard ever again which amazed me to death. Some people even report up to a 200 rpm gain while using the Rp,who knows for sure but all I care about is the protection it offers. Thanks again.

I realize that now but wow i couldn't believe how strong it was.I guess i have never just took a whiff till now and nearly knocked my socks off,lol.

Latest posts