Are all portable fuel tanks crap now?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The govt didn't build the tanks goofballs, if the private side could build a decent tank that met fed regulations we'd be fine.

Maybe not but, they set the mandatory guidelines on how tanks and fuel lines must vent and how much can permeate through into the atmosphere. The changes cost all of us millions and millions to re-design and produce. Consumers now pay a ton more as well.....for less than adequate products. And all of these guidelines for an industry that uses way less than 1/10 of 1% of the total fuel used in the US. That's your Government at work for you. This next election can change your life....choose wisely!
Can they build an adequate tank? You bet they can....but you wouldn't want to pay what it would cost to do it.
[/quote]

This is correct. I had worked alongside some of the engineers (briefly...couldn't stand it) in a UTV factory. One of the very many things I learned was about government mandates and what they really cost. For instance, the fuel lines were required to be low-permeation design. Engine could not vent the crankcase to the atmosphere. On that subject, they had a diesel version as well, and diesels carried the exact same crankcase vent issue. Problem is, with a diesel, it will run on it's own oil, and shutting the fuel off has zero effect. BIG safety issue in a rollover accident. The exhaust emissions (noise and chemical both) had to meet certain guidelines. The tires and brakes had government mandates that had to be met. The payload capacity dictated how it was built; for instance, in the state of California if the cargo capacity is 1000 lbs or higher, it is considered a pickup truck, and will be subject to even more regulation. So on and so forth with all the mandates, regulations, laws, and rules. All this stuff costs. One unit was designed, and passed the engineers' inspections, then it had to be trailered to an inspection facility, rigorous inspections made, etc. All told, the inspection process cost around $10,000. If they sold 10,000 units, that adds $1 per unit, plus whatever the build cost increase was for whatever new regulation was imposed.

Then learned something interesting about lawn mowers a while back. A certain manufacturer was building mowers, but buying the engines from Cat (perkins). We all know that diesels are required to have a soot filter system if they're over 25 hp. Both of this manufacturer's diesel mowers were over 25 hp (one was 26, the other 35 IIRC). They looked into the cost of retrofitting. It would have added almost 150 lbs to the weight and more importantly, about $5500 to the build cost. They stopped production needless to say, they're all gas now. And I don't blame them. If I didn't already have a diesel, I wouldn't own one either...expensive in EVERY aspect, not just the engine either. The whole truck.

Back to gas tanks, yes you can thank your good old government for the price hike in tanks...since they all have to be low permeation material, and they swell up now. How do y'all feel about those ventless fuel cans? Aren't those the greatest design ever?

It is what happens when the government (any government) tries to take over by regulating all sorts of things that they know little or nothing about.

I guess they never heard the phrase "unintended consequences".

It is also amazing that capitalism has been as successful as it has, given all of the illogical rules and regs that they have to follow.

We are on a downward-path and we better get some common sense into Washington soon.

richg99

AMEN Brother!
The idiots in DC just pass the mandates and then, for them, it is a done deal. They assume they (and they alone) have fixed the issue "for the people".
They never go back and look at the trickle down effect.
The EPA has grown almost exponentially. They are at the point they are trying to justify their existence and bulk.
One of the candidates wants even larger government (on top of your guns) and the other wants to shrink it and get a bit closer to when the Govt. worked for the people. One wants to increase taxes to take in an additional 1.4 TRILLION dollars. The other wants to reduce taxes on the middle class. 'Nuff said.

FWIW, and I just remembered this, but instead of installing one of those little yellow pop vents you can instead use a valve stem and remove the core pop it into a drilled hole. Just keep track of the cap.

Dat good idea!

wmk0002 said:
I have a Cabela's 5 minutes from my office so I swung by over lunch. I ended up grabbing a 3 gallon Attwood tank that had a built in gauge for $50. I previously had a 6 gallon but it was overkill for my 9.9/15 hp motors. I think my old one was also Attwood so hopefully the old vent cap will fit. If not I will make my own vent.

FWIW, and I just remembered this, but instead of installing one of those little yellow pop vents you can instead use a valve stem and remove the core pop it into a drilled hole. Just keep track of the cap.

So....bumping to update on my tank I purchased. Flat out turrble. I've had it a month and a half and the cap no longer seals it when it closed until it clicks....leaks everywhere there when I pick it up to carry it. It's also leaking around the gauge and fuel outlet port. And of course the engine starves if the cap isn't loosened (as expected).

I was fully expecting to have to loosen the cap and that didn't bother me. Not being able to carry it without it leaking everywhere is unacceptable though. Thankfully I kept my receipt. Not sure if Cabelas would accept a return on a used gas tank so I contacted Attwood directly. I will post back with how they offer to handle it.

Twenty years or so ago I bought a new plastic fuel tank.
That thing would blow up like a balloon. :shock:
I now buy used steel tanks and hoard them.
No problem.

Steve A W

I replaced my old 10 gal tank this year with a new Moeller. I reused the vented cap off the old tank.

Now, I have a 6 gal. tank I don't know if I want t part with. I am selling my old boat and it will go with it. It's oval shaped with ears on both ends to wrap the fuel line around. It has the vented cap that you unscrew the little button on top. Maybe I should get a new tank for the old boat and keep the old tank for myself...even though I don't need a 6 gal. tank anymore. Only using it for a kicker motor I mounted on my new boat. ???

Let me say this about the new fuel tanks (used inside of a boat, not the one that you carry around)...I put a new 6 gallon on my 1652 G3.

I had to buy a "fuel demand valve" to make it work correctly. Once I had those two devices (cost around $70.00 or so, as I remember) it works perfectly fine.

If you go and buy the new guy a new tank, expect that is about the money that you will spend. If you skip the "fuel demand valve" you take a big chance of constantly flooding the engine. I've read about "fuel locked" engines but know nothing about that malady, other than the "fuel demand valve' prevents it.

Your call. This post was just to give you some details. richg99

Tohatsu brand gas tanks has a vent on the cap just loosen it and it vents no problem. As far a portable fuel cans I use the six gallon racing fuel jugs like jegs and summit racing sells they are heavy duty with a big vent cap and a 3/4 inch clear tube on top so you can see whats going on, only way to go. You guys are buying crap for tanks and fuel jugs. Try the square 6 gal racing plastic heavy duty fuel jug you wont ever be with out one again.

That little fuel demand valve DOES work.

The US government doesn't build fuel tanks. They just tell the manufacturers how to build them. Thus, they might as well be building them.

Agree with the statement that anytime the government gets involved, they somehow screw something up. Hence one of many reasons I am becoming less trustful of our government, and that bothers me.

They're all vented, every one of them even the new low-perm tanks. The problem is, the vent doesn't allow pressure to escape unless it rises to a certain PSI inside the tank. BUT that vent will allow air to get back into the tank as the fuel level drops. OR, that's how they're supposed to work anyway. It won't be long and we'll be required to put a carbon canister and purge system on portable boat tanks. I wouldn't be surprised if built-in tanks already are.

I mean, they've been putting catalytic converters on tractors and lawn mowers and ATV's for a little while, why not boat motors? ](*,)

skipper123 said:
Tohatsu brand gas tanks has a vent on the cap just loosen it and it vents no problem. As far a portable fuel cans I use the six gallon racing fuel jugs like jegs and summit racing sells they are heavy duty with a big vent cap and a 3/4 inch clear tube on top so you can see whats going on, only way to go. You guys are buying crap for tanks and fuel jugs. Try the square 6 gal racing plastic heavy duty fuel jug you wont ever be with out one again.

I looked those Tohatsu tanks up and they look pretty nice. I'm going to swing by a local dealer on my way home and price one and "try" to return the Attwood tank I bought to Cabela's. Their return policy states no gas powered products are return eligible once they have been fueled but didn't imply fuel tanks that had been fueled were ineligible.

Those tohatsu, honda, and yamaha tanks are made by scepter. They are the cats arse. I love mine. The best portable tank on the market. I have 4 of their plastic 5 gallon jerry cans. They are fantastic products.

Thank You EPA!

Thank you also for Ethanol!

Thank you for Tier III Marine diesel engines!

Screw EPA for everything they've done. Because it continues to hurt the end user and small business owner with no commensurate, verifiable environmental benefit.

Kill EPA.

End of rant.

So thankfully I was able to return the Attwood tank to Cabela's for a cash refund. I then swung by my local Tohatsu dealer and picked up a Tohatsu 3 gal tank and fuel line quick release adapter. It was about $90 after tax for both the tank and adapter fitting but it is noticeably higher quality and design. The dealer may or may not have drilled a hole in the bottom of the cap to make the manual vent truly manual :) . Used it Saturday on the river and it perform great. No spills, no ballooning, and no venting problems.

Skiffing said:
Thank You EPA!

Thank you also for Ethanol!

Thank you for Tier III Marine diesel engines!

Screw EPA for everything they've done. Because it continues to hurt the end user and small business owner with no commensurate, verifiable environmental benefit.

Kill EPA.

End of rant.

I know right, too bad we just can't go back to a time when there was no EPA or regulations and anyone or business could just dump whatever chemical or chemical by-product they wanted into our waterways. It was the best when the Cuyahoga caught fire, oh the good ole' days.

Hey guys look at spectra fuel tanks. They still sell some that has the screw vent screw in the top of the cap. I just bought one at Walmart 6 gallon tank for $40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts