25 Merc spilt block gasket failure

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomme boy

Reaction score
My 25 Merc has been starting to run really bad at idle. It is also blowing gas out of the side of the block. I was told that this is a common problem with the Merc split case design.

I am going to have to either repair this or get a new motor. Has anyone here done this and how was it? Dealer here want 5 hours min to fix it over winter. He says there is no gasket per say. but just a sealant.

Your dealer is correct in that there is no gasket. "Gel Seal" is used to seal the machined surfaces in place of a gasket.
Be prepared to pull the powerhead and remove the front half down to the crank. Flywheel and ignition will have to be removed as well.

5 hours sounds about right if a dealer's doing it. I remember doing a few of those Pieces of junk back in the day. Merc never admitted that there was a problem with them.

I stepped into the business in '92, and got out of Mercury in 1998 or 9. Don't know what years were affected. Mercosil was also a headache.

Latest posts