newbie with '73 25hp Evinrude carb question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkc118

Reaction score
I just picked up my first boat ever and am in the process of getting it ready to go on the water. Does anyone have a good resource where i can see how the carb and choke connections should be set up. I have the service manual, but would like to be able to see an actual picture if possible. I have not made any changes from how it was when I got it last week, but I am not sure that everything is correct. I have zero experience with motors and realize that i have a lot to learn.

I was able to get the motor started and ran it in a barrel for a while, but I just have a gut feeling that something isn't right.

thanks

Attachments

• Photo Sep 14, 7 01 38 PM.jpg
    Photo Sep 14, 7 01 38 PM.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 2,258
  • Photo Sep 14, 7 32 09 PM.jpg
    Photo Sep 14, 7 32 09 PM.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 2,258
  • Photo Sep 14, 7 32 24 PM.jpg
    Photo Sep 14, 7 32 24 PM.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 2,258
I've got a '73 20 HP Johnson, that has the exact same carb.

Unfortunately, my choke lever was replaced with bailing wire. I'm getting parts on Friday to replace the wire with the actual choke lever. Once I get that installed hopefully this weekend I'll check mine out and let you know how it behaves.

I'm in the same boat you are -- this is my first outboard and it's been neglected.

lots of good photos here. Looks like the adjustment screw is broken off ?

https://s1052.photobucket.com/user/PikeSlayer83/media/GEDC0353.jpg.html

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&p=251956

brassyb said:
I've got a '73 20 HP Johnson, that has the exact same carb.

Unfortunately, my choke lever was replaced with bailing wire. I'm getting parts on Friday to replace the wire with the actual choke lever. Once I get that installed hopefully this weekend I'll check mine out and let you know how it behaves.

I'm in the same boat you are -- this is my first outboard and it's been neglected.

cool, i will post here with anything that i notice and hopefully between the 2 of us we will have 2 well running motors

Shaugh said:
lots of good photos here. Looks like the adjustment screw is broken off ?

https://s1052.photobucket.com/user/PikeSlayer83/media/GEDC0353.jpg.html

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&p=251956

thanks, that was just was i was looking for! hopefully i will have some time to work on it this weekend

So I got my new choke lever installed, and when my choke knob is all the way pulled out, it's almost 100% closed. There might be a small sliver of open space, but it's completely closed for the most part.

To the both of you: new fuel lines and fuel filter.

Before hooking up the new fuel lines to your newly cleaned carbs, use the primer bulb on the fuel tank line to flush the lines. Get out any debris in the system so it doesn't get into you nice;y cleaned carb.

Good luck. 25 HP is a really nice tiller to have!

CMOS

CMOS said:

Before hooking up the new fuel lines to your newly cleaned carbs, use the primer bulb on the fuel tank line to flush the lines. Get out any debris in the system so it doesn't get into you nice;y cleaned carb.

CMOS

I had thought about the fuel lines, the ones inside the motor were not original for sure, so i looked more closely and they were made in 2007. they are Bombardier ES 1763 and stamped with the date and time they were made. take a look at the picture below, they should be ethanol resistant and not need replaced, correct?

also re: the fuel filter, part # 3 in the diagram from this link is what you are referring to, correct?

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/...5302A&manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Fuel+Pump

i had popped that off last week and looked at it, it looks clean to me, not sure about that discoloration though. any thoughts?

thanks

Attachments

• Photo Sep 25, 3 27 55 PM.jpg
    Photo Sep 25, 3 27 55 PM.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 2,123
  • Photo Sep 25, 4 11 06 PM.jpg
    Photo Sep 25, 4 11 06 PM.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 2,123
brassyb said:
So I got my new choke lever installed, and when my choke knob is all the way pulled out, it's almost 100% closed. There might be a small sliver of open space, but it's completely closed for the most part.

mine does not do that, it only closes maybe 25%. looks like i have to figure out how to fix it. i need to look more closely at those pictures and see what i can figure out.

I was able to replace the dry-rotted kill switch today. I bought a seadog universal lanyard killswitch. it came without any wires to use. the service manual says the originals are 18 gauge. i didn't have anything laying around that i was sure was 18 gauge. i almost used some 14 gauge electrical wire, but decided to use some extra trailer light wire which looked to be the same size. I clipped the corroded wire and connected them together because i couldn't figure out how to get the original wire connector out of the plastic housing clip. the guy at the autoparts store thought i could use a "pickset tool" to do that, but i don't have one of those. he also suggested i use vinyl tape instead of electrical tape to cover these connections, so i was thinking of going to buy some of that. should this be OK or should i just go buy some 18 gauge wire, will it make a difference? I'm also worried the trailer wire might not be insulated enough to stand the heat of the motor.

thanks

Attachments

• Photo Sep 25, 3 29 33 PM.jpg
    Photo Sep 25, 3 29 33 PM.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 2,114
  • Photo Sep 25, 3 29 46 PM.jpg
    Photo Sep 25, 3 29 46 PM.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 2,114
rkc118 said:
CMOS said:

CMOS

I had thought about the fuel lines, the ones inside the motor were not original for sure, so i looked more closely and they were made in 2007. they are Bombardier ES 1763 and stamped with the date and time they were made. take a look at the picture below, they should be ethanol resistant and not need replaced, correct?

also re: the fuel filter, part # 3 in the diagram from this link is what you are referring to, correct?

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/...5302A&manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Fuel+Pump

i had popped that off last week and looked at it, it looks clean to me, not sure about that discoloration though. any thoughts?

thanks

The fuel screen is there to help but I would still suggest you install a true inline fuel filter between the fuel pump and the carb. This will filter out even very small pieces of debris.

Als0, at 7+ years old, just go ahead and replace the fuel lines. It's literally only a few bucks, and there may very well be material improvements made to the hoses since 2007.

CMOS

rkc118 said:
I was able to replace the dry-rotted kill switch today. I bought a seadog universal lanyard killswitch. it came without any wires to use. the service manual says the originals are 18 gauge. i didn't have anything laying around that i was sure was 18 gauge. i almost used some 14 gauge electrical wire, but decided to use some extra trailer light wire which looked to be the same size. I clipped the corroded wire and connected them together because i couldn't figure out how to get the original wire connector out of the plastic housing clip. the guy at the autoparts store thought i could use a "pickset tool" to do that, but i don't have one of those. he also suggested i use vinyl tape instead of electrical tape to cover these connections, so i was thinking of going to buy some of that. should this be OK or should i just go buy some 18 gauge wire, will it make a difference? I'm also worried the trailer wire might not be insulated enough to stand the heat of the motor.

thanks

The wire itself will be fine. The air temperature inside the cowling is not that high. My only concern with what you did is the crimp terminations. I'm anal, and I don't like them. At some point, the crimp connections will oxidize. I always solder these connections. A soldered connection is hermetic, which will not oxidize. It'll work for now but I'd suggest getting an inexpensive Weller soldering iron, watch a couple YouTube videos and learn to solder those connections.

CMOS

CMOS said:
The fuel screen is there to help but I would still suggest you install a true inline fuel filter between the fuel pump and the carb. This will filter out even very small pieces of debris.

CMOS

any suggestions on which one to get? sounds like something i could work on over the winter.

CMOS said:
The wire itself will be fine. The air temperature inside the cowling is not that high. My only concern with what you did is the crimp terminations. I'm anal, and I don't like them. At some point, the crimp connections will oxidize. I always solder these connections. A soldered connection is hermetic, which will not oxidize. It'll work for now but I'd suggest getting an inexpensive Weller soldering iron, watch a couple YouTube videos and learn to solder those connections.

CMOS

thanks, advice like that is much appreciated.

rkc118 said:
CMOS said:

CMOS

any suggestions on which one to get? sounds like something i could work on over the winter.

Check your fuel line ID, but I think this should work: 0388742 - Fuel Filter

CMOS

Hard to see clearly but note that the throttle plate should be almost, or completely "closed" when you engage the choke. You may have to make some adjustments to the linkage to make this happen, but you do seem to be on the right track.

Keep us posted.

CMOS

finally got out on the water for the first time today. everything went very well. started up easily on the second pull. the killswitch that i installed worked as it should. lost power once. the picture is a bit out of focus, but there is a plastic piece (don't know what it is called) that is pushed into the cam follower and then connects to the throttle linkage. it popped out. i was able to put it back in and there were no problems after that. is there something that i should do to make sure that does not happen again?

Attachments

• Photo Sep 14, 7 01 44 PM.jpg
    Photo Sep 14, 7 01 44 PM.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 843
finally gave up trying to figure this out myself and took the motor to a marina. here is a link to a video I took of how it looks now that it is running OK. hopefully someone can learn from it down the line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbGUDgxIUE0

You still may have a problem. If you just applied the choke to start and then took it off and immediately had a fouled plug I am guessing you will find you have either a rich low fuel/air setting or ignition problems. You stated you were going to try starting with no choke. Good luck with that.

Latest posts