Motor dies under load

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcpron

Reaction score
I just bought a used 90's era 5hp Mariner outboard. The motor starts easily ( first or second pull ) and runs very good in neutral. Problem is when I put it in forward it stalls and dies after throttle is advanced no more than a 1/4 inch. Any Suggestions or do I have a major problem ???
Thanks

lovedr79 said:
have you tired cleaning the carb? i would start with a carb rebuild/cleaning.

Thanks for the reply
Haven't yet, but I will.
Seller "said" that he had just done a carb cleaning. I thought that it ran so strong on start up and would rev up powerfully in neutral the carb was good ??

If the engine revs in neutral but dies in gear it's likely you have a problem in the lower unit. Does it run in gear with the motor at idle speed ?

Shaugh said:
If the engine revs in neutral but dies in gear it's likely you have a problem in the lower unit. Does it run in gear with the motor at idle speed ?

Yes, but as soon as any throttle is increased the engine dies

Ok so if it idles in gear and there's no scary noises it's likely just your high speed needle on the carb.

For a quick test I'd back that needle all the way out, then squirt gumout in there to flush out any blockages. Put it back in to the recommended start point and see what happens.

Shaugh said:
Ok so if it idles in gear and there's no scary noises it's likely just your high speed needle on the carb.

For a quick test I'd back that needle all the way out, then squirt gumout in there to flush out any blockages. Put it back in to the recommended start point and see what happens.

Thanks,
I've got my fingers crossed and I'll give it a try.
Let you know how it works out in a couple days.
Ron

Some newer carbs don't have a high speed needle. In that case pull the fuel line where it enters the carb and squirt lots of gumout up there. See what comes out...Then test again. This is only a quick test to see if it changes your situation. If it does then you know you need a good carb cleaning.

Could also be a clogged filter screen. There may be one going into the fuel pump or at carb inlet.

Regardless, I would get a carb rebuilt kit & clean it well. Consider a new float too, the foam one's deteriorate with age.

Latest posts