MID 1980'S 14 FOOT SMOKERCRAFT BIG FISHERMAN

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba8018

Reaction score
005.JPGView attachment 1002.JPG
Hey all..
Brand new here. This is my project. stored outside for years without a cover so it's a complete gut job. I have 2 questions for starters.
1.) what product should I use on the seams and rivets to help guard against leaks? (no leaks currently) I was told a product called Gluvit is the stuff to get.
and
2.) I have read that you should not use treated lumber for renovations...Is this true?..and why not?

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 2,888
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 2,888
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 2,888
Looks good! What are your plans? I used Gluvit on my boat and it worked great. You don't want to use treated because it will interact badly with the aluminum over time. Just buy some wood sealer or you can fiberglass it.

Plans are to install casting platforms in the front and back, re-configure the live well in the same spot. add storage and possible on board lighting for night fishing and paint. I will post the plans when I finalize them. I will likely ask for opinions/ suggestions along the way. Friends have told me I got a sweet deal on it. $500.00 for the boat, motor, trailer and 2 beat up trolling motors. Motor is a 1995 25hp Johnson with electric start.

Yeah that is a sweet deal! Looking forward to your progress. It's a nice rig.

Dude, one heck of a score on that rig!!! =D> =D> =D>

Love the layout and the removal of the center seats.

I'm not sure i'd add anything the seams and rivets if it wasn't already leaking. Fill it with water and look for loose rivets, rebuck those that leak to fix.

Good luck in your build.

Ha!...thanks....
It was stored outside for a number of years without a cover. It was full of water......(no leaks). That is also the reason it is a total gut job. =Just thinking about added insurance against leaks.....No?

You heard correct on the treated lumber. The metals in the treatment become reactive with the aluminum and will quickly corrode the thin material tin boats are made from.

Thanks!
What is the best way to preserve untreated lumber?

Also....Is JB Weld the best way to fill a few unwanted screw holes?

Bubba8018 said:
Thanks!
What is the best way to preserve untreated lumber?

Also....Is JB Weld the best way to fill a few unwanted screw holes?

You will get mixed replies to this question. I used JB Weld on many holes in several boats and never had a problem. Only issue I could see is that if the hole is located in an area that flexes, the JB Weld may not be as flexible.

Edited to say spar urethane for sealing untreated lumber. However, the last few boats I've done I just used paint (oil based), as the wood would be unseen and a mix-error special saves $$$.

I have a Big Fisherman SmokerCraft also. Mine is a 1986 motor and trailer all came together. Just bought it about a month ago. I gave $1200 for mine and it has a 28HP Johnson. You got a sweet deal on yours, if the motor runs thats worth 4 times that price. I will be watching and helping ya on this :LOL2: because after the weather gets colder here in Ky I am gonna redo mine. I want to make a rear and front deck, and thinking a center console maybe because it doesn't ride level when I am alone in the boat :oops: ???? I fish very rarely, but I got mine mostly to use for hunting arrowheads. Keep us posted .

Attachments

• 00P0P_156jIxyHUQD_1200x900.jpg
    00P0P_156jIxyHUQD_1200x900.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 2,743
  • 20160928_153117.jpg
    20160928_153117.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 2,743
  • 20160917_142450.jpg
    20160917_142450.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 2,741
Nice find. Was the floor made of wood? Mine has a middle bench and I'd like to do an aisle if I can figure out what they use for structural support on boats like that.

005.JPG

If you look at the "step through" it has a live well on one side and a battery/ electrical home base/ storage box on the other. They are screwed to the floor and attached to the sides by those slanted "L" shaped brackets. those brackets have wood inserts that are rod holders. I plan to rebuild this boat pretty close to the way it was. casting platforms in the front and rear will eliminate the need for the battery box in the middle and I may re-install that box as storage/ beer cooler and will keep the livewell as well.

I am open to suggestions to re-configure keeping in mind my prioritites for use are.

1.) Musky fishing with 2 occupants.
2.) Panfishing
3.) Waterfowl hunting with my little buddy.098.JPG

167.JPG
He's a pure bred GSP and he loves to hunt.

I'm looking for some paint options. I have been told a marine paint id not necessary. That any good enamel paint will work if prepped properly. I do not think I'm going to paint below the waterline.

Paint (brand) suggestions?

For waterfowl I like the deck ideas. I'd install pedestals on the floor between the benches if that's going to be hunting from the boat. But if it's transport I'd be sure to just incorporate a hatch in the front big enough for your blind bags that is relatively water tight. Enough so the rain stays out. Otherwise covering the gas tank and battery in the rear is smart too. With my boat I just bought for waterfowl, a friend is welding the brackets for a rear deck. The same with a front deck. The front doesn't have a hatch though and just has it open below. The rear is hatched for gas tank and battery, and he middle bench is hatched as well. Floor has 3 pedestals to hunt from. I find this manner to be a perfect blend for fishing and hunting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I want your boat. At some point could you see if the two struts running down the middle of the floor are the same height on each end? When I look at the front of mine it's hard to tell what's level even when I lay something across all the benches.

I talked to a Smokercraft dealer today and he said manufacturers didn't use marine plywood back then.

Well....I'm back at it. Boat is gutted and I am prepping for paint. Looking for a process that will be durable and cost effective?? Do I need to prime?? What kind on paint to buy, etc.

Latest posts