rub rails or protection for round top rail

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timsmcm

Reaction score
Is there something made that works as a bumper for the top rail? I have a lowe boat and it has a round top rail. When I tie off to a bridge pier it is hard on the boat. Any suggestions?

That is almost what I thought about doing except using 5200 to attach the hose. But I have no problem using screws to attach said hose. What screws would you use?

What about splitting a piece of PVC pipe and forcing it over the rail. It would be hard but doable, you could use the grey stuff if you don't like the white.

I once split some white rubber 'sanitation' hose of 1-1/2"'diameter in half, cut down one side. Took an old jig saw blade and snapped it shorter so I could use the power tool and then held the hose in my Black & Decker tool mate bench. Made the cut pretty fast! Just try to keep your cut on the INSIDE of any natural bend to the hose. I found that by putting a 1/2" line using a Sharpie marker every foot worked slick!

I just secured it to the rail every 6" with good quality zip-ties. Worked slick, was cheap enough and is still in place a dozen years later, although clearly zip-ties have been replaced. I could have pop-riveted it in place, but it is a work skiff for a private club and being 'volunteers' to add the rub rail ... we were ... well, lazy!

Tim, in my world, I have no second thoughts about using
brass screws - - I would scrounge up a 50ft hose from where ever
and split it open. Then, measure the two thicknesses with the
boat hull and purchase a box of brass round head machine screws, washers,
and nuts. #10x1" or 3/4". If you want to go stainless, that is up to you.
I will not enter the brass/bronze/copper/galvanized debate.
Personal choice as to cut off the excess of the screws or not for a neat, safe appearance.
and yes, fire hose CAN be painted with any paint - match your boat if you wanna.
self tapping screws pose a safety/snag hazard as well as rust (eventually).
It ain't rocket science - it's a boat.
Fire Hose.png

I have been thinking about asking this for a while too. Can someone provide an Ebay link to the product they would choose?

for fire hose ??

go to e-bay, in the search box, put in "FIRE HOSE". many will pop up - - - -
put in the size you need: 2", 2.5", 3", 4", etc
and it will refine your search. hundreds of the 1 and 1.5" available.

some used, some new, some you pay shipping, some you don't.
you want to look at the older COTTON outer cover.
the nylon outer cover may (or may not) fray and get ugly with abrasion.
Then again, you can put the inside rubber on the outside - your call.

with a tape measure, see what will work for your boat.
obviously, a 1-1/2" won't work, not enough skirt to bolt through.
4in fire hose.JPG
hose.jpg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-x-18-Single-jacket-Fire-hose-/231918883875?hash=item35ff715423:m:meTNo0vabAzR6jKGvHdxIjQ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-x-46-ft-FIRE-HOSE-No-Coupling-Heay-duty-/230688565006?hash=item35b61c270e:g:N~gAAOxy7AxSKjsq

Johnny said:
for fire hose ??

go to e-bay, in the search box, put in "FIRE HOSE". many will pop up - - - -
put in the size you need: 2", 2.5", 3", 4", etc
and it will refine your search. hundreds of the 1 and 1.5" available.

some used, some new, some you pay shipping, some you don't.
you want to look at the older COTTON outer cover.
the nylon outer cover may (or may not) fray and get ugly with abrasion.
Then again, you can put the inside rubber on the outside - your call.

with a tape measure, see what will work for your boat.
obviously, a 1-1/2" won't work, not enough skirt to bolt through.
View attachment 1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-x-18-Single-jacket-Fire-hose-/231918883875?hash=item35ff715423:m:meTNo0vabAzR6jKGvHdxIjQ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-x-46-ft-FIRE-HOSE-No-Coupling-Heay-duty-/230688565006?hash=item35b61c270e:g:N~gAAOxy7AxSKjsq

Thanks! Upon second thought though, I'm not sure the fire hose would be the best option for me. Similar to the OP my issues come when tying up beside concrete walls or columns which are really rough and coarse which may chew threw the hose really fast. I had been leaning towards pvc in my mind previously.

Latest posts