Stuck Steering I think Evinrude 1970 7077S3 70HP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acolic

Reaction score
Hi

I finally get my new floor installed into my boat and I thought I would take it out for a test when I noticed that the steering does not work.

Meaning I can't turn the wheel to turn the boat. And this was working a few weeks ago.

I did some troubleshooting.

I unscrewed the steering cable from the motor (picture 111555), now when I turn the steering wheel I can see cable moving in and out of the steering cable sleeve.

Then on the other side of the nut I unhooked the connection (top left) between the motor and the remote steering (111613). The boat tilts left and right fine.

It seems the issue is the piston in the bottom right of 11613 is not moving.

It seems that looking at picture 113504 the remote steering cable enters from the left and is supposed to move the piston on the right in and out which is supposed to move the motor.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Alex

Attachments

• IMG_20161009_111555.jpg
    IMG_20161009_111555.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 621
  • IMG_20161009_113504.jpg
    IMG_20161009_113504.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 621
  • IMG_20161009_111613.jpg
    IMG_20161009_111613.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 621
The "Piston" is the end of the steering cable. You will have to get the end of the cable unstuck from the tilt tube.
Try spraying it with PB blaster, WD40 then tapping it with a hammer. Worst case you get a new steering cable.

If I am reading you correctly, the steering ram (nut on left-side FACING the motor) is stuck. Meaning the end coming out right side (facing FACING the OB) won't move. It is stuck inside the tilt tube. Some tilt tubes are not stainless steel and they corrode inside.

Get a heat gun to heat & soften old gunk inside that tilt-tube (T-T). If you get it to move, un-do that nut and pull the entire ram of the T-T. Beg/borrow 12-gauge cleaning brush and clean the heck out of the T-T.

You can prevent this by buying a $25 "Steersman" steering ram nut w/ O-Ring that seals and wipes the ram as it is retracted and extended.

See: https://www.steersman.com

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    10.4 KB · Views: 578
Oh, go buy some "Triple Guard" grease by OMC/Bombardier in a large tub for $10. It is a blue-colored waterproof synthetic marine grease. All OB makers sell it and it all comes out of the same factory, but the US labeled product is much cheaper than that sold by foreign OB makes.

Use this to lube that steering ram inside that tilt-tube.

Hi,

thanks for the help. I blasted it with PB a few times and then gave it a sharp tap with a sledge hammer and it came unstuck.

After that I kept blasting it PB and it moves smoothly now.

Thanks

Latest posts