GoPro Camera - life expectancy ??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim said:
Still going back and forth! Does the Sj5000 have the looping feature the GoPros have?

Are you referring to the ability to continually record and overwrite the sd card as it fills? Not sure about the 5000 but my SJ4000 WIFI does cyclic recording in 1, 5 or 10 minute loops. Once the card is full it overwrites the oldest loop as it continues to record. I wish it had the ability to "lock in" a recording with the push of a button like the Go Pro does to keep whatever loop you want from being deleted. But it doesn't.

Based on the reviews I've been reading, I'd stay away from the SJ5000 for now. It seems to have some bugs they need to get worked out. I think they kind of rushed it to market with it still having some issues. But apparently there have been some firmware updates that are starting to fix them.

I'm still happy with my SJ4000 wifi. No issues to complain of. I did fry it with a bad 12V car charger. I think it sent to much juice to the camera and destroyed it. It would turn on but no screen. And get really hot in about 2 minutes. I contacted the company and they sent me a brand new one. This was after having it for about 9 months. Surprised they replaced it free of charge.

So far my GoPro Hero3 white edition has held up , I think this is my 3rd Christmas with it.
8383df6c962172df1e91fa5ec6ebbf68.jpg

7a372ab133e5a89a7bf6b284a2abf88b.jpg

I like the wifi capabilities , since it's a white edition it's no where near the definition the newer ones are but its waterproof and works for me. Biggest problem I have is in the waterproof case the sound quality is terrible. I'm working on an external microphone option while still keeping the waterproof quality of the case. Was $169 on a Black Friday sale after a store card instant savings

Jim said:
I took the plunge and ordered an adventure cam10 for a super deal. Stay tuned for a solid review from my son and Me.
Did you ever do a review on this or have I completely looked over it?

Here are some photos from my SJ4000. Haven't gotten any videos cool enough to upload lately. I made a mount out of 1" aluminum angle riveted to the knee brace of my transom. The camera is mounted to the angle with one of the 3M sticky GoPro mounts. When fishing by myself it gets great video and photos of the action. If I catch something photo worthy, I just hold it up to the camera for a few seconds and capture a photo of it later at home on my laptop.

Catfish%205-28-16_zpszgopfrps.png

13%20inch%205-28-16_zpskwdwh91j.png

Casting_zpss9nftikt.png

I just bought a Lightdow LD6000 action camera from Amazon. It was about $50. Had to buy memory so got a 32GB SD card for an additional $10 and an accessory pack for another $20. It doesn't seem as nice as the ones used to the previous videos linked in this thread but it will do. I mainly wanted it to use as an on the water camera so I didn't dunk my new iPhone 7 and to shoot some river run videos in my boat.

That's a nice video Big Terp. I chuckled at the 2 mishaps in it, thought I was the only one that did things like that....lol. Can that camera record non-stop or is there a time limit? I google sj4000 and it came up with several different versions. One could accept an micro SD card up to 32 gb's. Do you just turn it on when you start fishing and let it run continuously? I would like to invest in something along these lines but have no idea what they are really capable of doing yet. The GoPro's are just so expensive, and this camera looks to take some very nice quality videos.

Fire1386 said:
That's a nice video Big Terp. I chuckled at the 2 mishaps in it, thought I was the only one that did things like that....lol. Can that camera record non-stop or is there a time limit? I google sj4000 and it came up with several different versions. One could accept an micro SD card up to 32 gb's. Do you just turn it on when you start fishing and let it run continuously? I would like to invest in something along these lines but have no idea what they are really capable of doing yet. The GoPro's are just so expensive, and this camera looks to take some very nice quality videos.

HA!! Good thing I don't save all of my screw ups!!

It records non-stop. There is a setting on it for "cyclic" recording which saves the videos in 5, 10 or 15 minute lengths. I have it set to record in 5 minute lengths. This doesn't stop the video or anything, but just creates video files that are 5 minutes long. Makes it easier to go through and edit a 5 minute video file than it does a 15 minute long file. You can not use this setting, but then it just creates one big file of how ever long you were recording, which becomes a pain in the butt to save, download, edit, etc. The batteries last about an hour and a half or so. I bought extra batteries and have a total of 4. So I can get 4+ hours of battery life. I change the batteries out every hour or so just to keep it from going dead and missing something. The 32gb memory card is good for 4+ hours of 1080P video. I have the Original SJ4000 WIFI. You can connect it to your phone to view your recordings and start/stop recording. But honestly I don't use this feature. Seems to drain the battery quicker and I find I don't need it anyway. It also uses the same mounts as a GoPro, so finding mounts is easy and cheap. I've made a lot of mounts as well. It just takes a 1/4-20 threaded bolt to make a mount.

Here is the one I have. There is a SJ5000 which uses the same chip as the GoPro Hero's (I believe), but it hasn't gotten good reviews at all. I was planning on getting one, but have held off due to the bad reviews. If I ever feel the need for a second camera, I'll definitely get another SJ4000 WIFI. If you do pick one up, just make sure it is a true SJCam SJ4000. There were a lot of fake SJCams around for awhile and they were pretty much junk from what I understand.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MIT658W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PM me if you have any other questions. I can also show you some other videos I've done with it so you can see the quality of them.

BigTerp said:
Fire1386 said:

HA!! Good thing I don't save all of my screw ups!!

It records non-stop. There is a setting on it for "cyclic" recording which saves the videos in 5, 10 or 15 minute lengths. I have it set to record in 5 minute lengths. This doesn't stop the video or anything, but just creates video files that are 5 minutes long. Makes it easier to go through and edit a 5 minute video file than it does a 15 minute long file. You can not use this setting, but then it just creates one big file of how ever long you were recording, which becomes a pain in the butt to save, download, edit, etc. The batteries last about an hour and a half or so. I bought extra batteries and have a total of 4. So I can get 4+ hours of battery life. I change the batteries out every hour or so just to keep it from going dead and missing something. The 32gb memory card is good for 4+ hours of 1080P video. I have the Original SJ4000 WIFI. You can connect it to your phone to view your recordings and start/stop recording. But honestly I don't use this feature. Seems to drain the battery quicker and I find I don't need it anyway. It also uses the same mounts as a GoPro, so finding mounts is easy and cheap. I've made a lot of mounts as well. It just takes a 1/4-20 threaded bolt to make a mount.

Here is the one I have. There is a SJ5000 which uses the same chip as the GoPro Hero's (I believe), but it hasn't gotten good reviews at all. I was planning on getting one, but have held off due to the bad reviews. If I ever feel the need for a second camera, I'll definitely get another SJ4000 WIFI. If you do pick one up, just make sure it is a true SJCam SJ4000. There were a lot of fake SJCams around for awhile and they were pretty much junk from what I understand.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MIT658W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PM me if you have any other questions. I can also show you some other videos I've done with it so you can see the quality of them.

Do you film with the camera in the waterproof case? My initial tests with the Lightdow were that the sound was bad in the case, as expected, however, it also has a constant droning sound. I'd like a skeleton case where the mic and other ports are open but will still protect it from drops. Maybe I can upload a test video and link it here sometime soon.

wmk0002 said:
Do you film with the camera in the waterproof case? My initial tests with the Lightdow were that the sound was bad in the case, as expected, however, it also has a constant droning sound. I'd like a skeleton case where the mic and other ports are open but will still protect it from drops. Maybe I can upload a test video and link it here sometime soon.

When I'm fishing I do use the waterproof case. Just in case it gets dropped in the water. So hardly any audio gets picked up. The waterproof case does have a different back with slits in the side that picks up audio a lot better, but still not as good as with the camera out of the case. When I use it for waterfowl hunting it's not in a waterproof case and it gets audio good enough that you can hear conversations from us in the blinds.

Johnny said:
fellow shutter bugs - I have been involved in photography in one form or another since 1964.
I have either used or owned myself some very fine film cameras.
>>SNIP<<

Like you I'm a long time film camera buff and having been a semi pro photog, I went digital several years ago with a full size Nikon "D" series. I'm a critic, and I do not mean to step on the toes of folks who LOVE the stuff posted on youtube.

Seeing the terrible "images" posted all over the net has convinced me that the vast majority of digital camera owners have lowered their expectations of image quality (if they ever had them) in favor of portability. It seems that the mindset "the best camera in the World is the one you have on you when you need it"

That said, no smart camera can compensate for lack of fundamental understanding of composition, light and motion by the user, and I see too many hundreds of horribly backlit, blurry, poorly framed images that people adore.

For users that must have a camera on a helmet, handlebar or other some such they are the worst sort of pics and movies, talk about blurry? Image stabilization? While skydiving, surfing, running rapids, being chased by a bear? Seriously??? Those pix are best left to memories not the waste basket full of puke from watching that junk :)

Wait a sec, that is unless it ends in the skydiver hitting the ground with a thud, the surfer getting attacked by a shark, the woodman being mauled by a bear, rapids cracking the Kayak wide open like an egg, THEN it's interesting :)

Anyway... A $300 camera point and shoot camera with an .85 cent lens, no zoom function or control of aperture or shutter speed selection in a camera that interprets motion, and depth of field does not deliver pix much better (IMO) than the average $80-$100 Samsung 7 or up series telephone which I have on me at all times and I can replace without any penalties (No AT&T here) from "contract" commitments. YMMV.

Don't get me wrong, I like digital photography but it's not film, never will be. Point and shoot?

They used the new Garmin camera as a helmet cam during the last national motocross race. I've seen a few other clips with it. It looked really weird like a bad fish eye attempt. IDK. It was clear in the center then it went cockeyed or somthing. Anybody seen one?

I have the Spypoint XCEL HD2 Hunting Edition camera and really like it. Audio is not muffled very much with the waterproof case and the video is excellent. The only thing I don't like is not knowing what I am filming exactly. It has no Bluetooth option to set up the camera. But once you have played with it a few times, it's actually fairly easy to get it close.

I want a GoPro if I can find a deal on one.

1244 Atchafalaya Outdoor Designs W/ 12hp Copperhead

Latest posts