Alternatives to AAA Roadside assistance Ins??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
We've had AAA for road assistance insurance for 20+ years. Used them a half dozen times in all of that period.

Last week, coming home in Middle of Mississippi, my trailer tire went out. Called them and was told that they didn't cover trailer tires on my "basic" plan.

OK....my fault for not knowing what my coverages were ( I guess).

Went in to see them today. The next level is $120.00 per year, up from $80.00 She had to call, but, supposedly, trailer tires would be covered under that plan. Worried me that she had to call someone to find out if I would be covered. But, that's the help we get these days.

Does anyone else use some other form of roadside assistance that would cover a trailer tire change?

As you all know, we fishermen travel to some strange places and having the towing available can be invaluable when you need it.

Just looking around before I renew. thanks richg99

Your boat insurance, assuming you have physical damage coverage, may have some limited emergency assistance coverage. Doubt that it would cover a flat tire on the trailer or roadside assistance similar to what AAA offers (mine doesn't). Only way to find out for sure is to read your policy, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Basically, from what you say, you can add the coverage you want for an additional $40/year. No doubt there are other benefits to the next level of AAA roadside assistance so you gain more than just help with flats on the trailer. Maybe it would include extended towing radius which would be good if you are off the beaten path. Going for the next level of AAA roadside assistance may be your best option. Just my humble opinion, but AAA's widespread availability, ease of use, and decent service carries a lot of weight in the decision making process.

Boat/US membership is $24/year, add UNLIMITED 'trailer assist' insurance for only an additional $14!

https://www.boatus.com/MembershipWeb_Main/Membership/personal.aspx

My twin bro broke an axle on his boat trailer and they put the entire rig on a flat bed trailer.

I've used their on-water towing service when I was toona fishing and they were flawless, reliable and 100% professional. Even had a damage claim settled in days when another boat rammed mine!

My parents had a similar experience with AAA; the serpentine belt broke on their truck and when the AAA tow truck showed up they told them that they wouldn't tow a dually truck and left. They then had to arrange for their own tow.

They switched to Good Sam's, which provides the same services as AAA and, with their RV and Auto Plan, will cover your boat trailer, RV, and cars. Good Sam is currently doing their end of year sale and that plan is $79.95/year.

https://www.goodsamroadside.com/

Thanks, guys. Two to follow up on. I've been thinking about getting a boat towing service. Didn't know that anyone included trailer towing in that package.

We used GoodSam a long time ago when we had a 16 ft. trailer.

thanks richg99

enginerd said:
My parents had a similar experience with AAA; the serpentine belt broke on their truck and when the AAA tow truck showed up they told them that they wouldn't tow a dually truck and left.

My mother called AAA one time because her car wouldn't start and they wanted to tow her car two hundred miles away to Spartanburg SC from Charleston SC. I have had AAA for over twenty years now and have never used them except for their Trip Tiks travel planners.

Sorry to see comments about bad service from AAA. I and my family have used it several times over many years and have been very happy. I checked out the link to BoatUS. Very impressive.

Yes. My prior experiences with Aaa have been good.

Right now, I am leaning towards keeping the basic Aaa plan, and adding Boat US. for boat tows and trailer issues. richg99

Latest posts