Clearing a cloudy gauge lens

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobmwsc

Reaction score
So yesterday I was working on one of my projects - a 1989 Bayliner Capri 1750. I have a set of replacement gauges that I scored online a while ago to replace the original gauges. Four of the six original gauges are in terrible shape (maybe 10% transparent) and two of them look brand new. I took out the old ones and set them aside. I need to fabricate adapters to reduce the two largest gauges (speedo and tach) which mount in a 4.25" hole down to 3-3/8" holes for the new gauges.

I was looking at the originals today and wondered if they could be saved. I have a headlight restoration kit that I've used a few times with good success. It's a Turtle Wax Headlight Lens Restorer Kit that I bought a few years back at Walmart for $7 (up to 7.99 now). I tried the rubbing compound that comes in the kit - no luck. I then spent a whopping 5 minutes tops using the sanding sponges then cleaned it off with the included uv protectant wipe and I was very surprised. The gauge is actually usable again! If I spent a little longer I know it would have come out far better. Now I have to decide if I want the new gauges or reinstall the old ones.

Original:

foggy.jpg

Clear(er):

clear.jpg

I tried in on the worst condition lens. it's better but not great. The plastic has a bunch of hair line fractures in the surface. I may try again with some fine sandpaper followed up by the headlight kit.

Original:

IMAG2486.jpg

Clear(er):

IMAG2487.jpg

Wow, huge difference there.
I think I would try to use the original gauges as long as they work, that is unless you want to save them for down the road, then I would install the new ones using an adaptor, new gauges are always nice though!
Your call, as they say 6 of one, half dozen of the other, or maux nix; in other words, either way! :lol:

If you really want to clean them up use sandpaper and wet sand them down to 2000-3000 grit sandpaper. Then use non-yellowing clearcoat and spray a couple of light coats on them. The lens will look better and better as you put more coats on them.

Don't use alcohol on plastic. Some types of plastic develop fractures and cracks. The polishing method looks great.

Back in the late '50s, I used to work on some of the old TVs for neighbors.

I found that I could take scratches off of the plastic tube covers by using toothpaste. Just another slightly abrasive compound.

I see that the technology has moved WAYYYY forward now.

Your job looks great. I love to see things restored.

richg99

overboard said:
Wow, huge difference there.
I think I would try to use the original gauges as long as they work, that is unless you want to save them for down the road, then I would install the new ones using an adaptor, new gauges are always nice though!
Your call, as they say 6 of one, half dozen of the other, or maux nix; in other words, either way! [emoji38]
I'm pretty happy with the outcome. I'm going to use the originals and save the other set (means I don't have to cut the ends and rewire all the gauges).

With about an hour or so of work I went from this:

b6a0b992d15e58ded86119c966a5cc72.jpg

to this:

68650710f473658409fe71b07bccfb3b.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Fishfreek said:
Nice JOB!
Thanks... I just figured a quick $7 fix was better than shelling out a few hundred and having to rewire all the gauges. They came out better than I expected. I know that when I did my headlights they lasted for close to 2 years before needing a second application being subjected to the New England winters getting pelted with salt and sand. I figure these should last far longer only out in the summer sun and rain (when not covered).

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Latest posts