Please help - Quick Gluv-it prep question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lvhish486

Reaction score
I'm preparing to apply Gluv-it to the interior of my hull and I already sanded the ribs and rivets with a wire brush. My plan was to just use a shop-vac to get all the sanding debris and dirt out of the hull and then wipe it down with Acetone where I'll be applying the Gluv-it.

My question is should I vacuum it AND THEN power wash it?

I'm not worried about the rivets as I have them accessible to clean thoroughly, my concern is that that shop-vac may not get all the sanding debris and dirt that's UNDER the ribs (then again it's not a certainty that a power wash will either).

Can I get away with just sanding and wiping down the area with Acetone without power washing it?

Any help would be appreciated. This is the last thing I need to do before I begin my restoration and thread.

I used Naval Jelly and then followed the direction for rinsing when prepping for Goop Coat-it which is a similar product.

My question is: should I vacuum it AND THEN power wash it?

yes, vac first then wash

in my personal opinion, power washing may force some residue into cracks & crevices if not vacuumed first.
this is meant for anything of the nature: refinishing furniture, autobody, yada yada yada
vac all loose material: dirt, paint chips, grindings, etc - then power wash.

Do you think I can get away with not power washing it? I called MarineTex and asked them and they said I should be fine by just shop vacing the dirt and debris and wiping the areas down with acetone.

Not too sure how i feel about that though

lvhish - what is your vision ??

in my world, this is what I do - - - - -
removing (vacuum) all loose and flaking paint is priority #1.
removing all oil and contaminants is priority #2.
I fill the boat with about 3 to 6 inches of water
and pour in a half gallon of Purple Power degreaser.
scrub with the soft detail brush the best I could. Clean the outside as well while you are at it.
PP.jpg
Remove the plug and rince the best you can. IMO, there is no need to power wash.
let dry in the sun until you are satisfied that all water has evaporated.
I do not wipe down with a solvent - the Purple Power Cleaner took care of all contaminants.
apply your Gluvit or an exterior latex primer and paint with a good quality exterior paint.
There are HUNDREDS of good quality degreasers on the market - your choice.
this process is performed after you are comfortable that you have addressed
all loose rivets, seams, and leaks in the hull.

Looking forward to your progress

I just wanted to seal the floor. I noticed a few leaks when I filled it with water the first time. I Gluv-it those and then decided to just do the entire floor for preventative purposes. Which began the tiring prep process...

I tried not to over think it to much.

1. I stripped the interior with airplane stripper and then power washed the loose debris.

2. Then went over the ribs and rivets with a wire brush attachment on my drill spending ample time on the previously applied Gluv-it areas (some started to flake after I applied the airplane stripper so I sanded that nice and smooth and removed all the flaky/stubborn spots.

3. Vacuumed out all the debris from wire brushing, wiped down with acetone, and the applied the Gluv-it.

I think it came out pretty well. Started stern to bow though, think I was supposed to go bow to stern but I had just enough to finish the entire hull (I heard that some stated there would be plenty left which makes me wonder if I did it wrong but I got the spots that matter (I hope).

Only problem is that I noticed some spots that I missed after it dried and now it is too cold to apply more. Doesn't bother me too much though since they weren't problem areas.

Now that that's over. It's time to work on the transom and start decking. Thread coming soon. Thanks for your help.

Latest posts