Please help identify my 14ft V-hull!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cappie

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just want to start of by saying you guys have a great site here, I'm excited to dive in. So I I just picked up my first V-hull this week and I don't know what it is. Was hoping maybe someone could help and identify it.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_2490.JPG
    IMG_2490.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,868
  • IMG_2491.JPG
    IMG_2491.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,868
  • IMG_2545.JPG
    IMG_2545.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,868
  • IMG_2058.JPG
    IMG_2058.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 1,868
Can't really get a clear view of the boat from your pictures and probably wouldn't be too much help in identifying the manufacturer anyway. From the OBC capacity plate, I can say that the boat was manufactured before 1964. Anything built after 1972 would have a USCG capacity plate, but the OBC was rolled into the BIA (Boating Industry Association) in 1964, which later became the NMMA (National Marine Manufacturers Association).

Were there any other plates on the transom or VIN and manufacturer information on the trailer? That boat would be prior to the standardization of Hull Identification Numbers and may not even have one, but chances are if it had one you'd find the HIN on the transom. Sorry I can't be more help, but maybe someone else can pinpoint it for you.

Side bench, oar locks, and shape of transom suggests Alumacraft. Post pictures of corner and knee braces at the transom and close-ups of oar locks to verify.

enginerd said:
Can't really get a clear view of the boat from your pictures and probably wouldn't be too much help in identifying the manufacturer anyway. From the OBC capacity plate, I can say that the boat was manufactured before 1964. Anything built after 1972 would have a USCG capacity plate, but the OBC was rolled into the BIA (Boating Industry Association) in 1964, which later became the NMMA (National Marine Manufacturers Association).

Were there any other plates on the transom or VIN and manufacturer information on the trailer? That boat would be prior to the standardization of Hull Identification Numbers and may not even have one, but chances are if it had one you'd find the HIN on the transom. Sorry I can't be more help, but maybe someone else can pinpoint it for you.

Wow that's very interesting about the OBC, I had know idea that the boat was that old. Very cool! Unfortunately there aren't any other plates I can find. Thanks for taking a look I really appreciate it.

ericman said:
Side bench, oar locks, and shape of transom suggests Alumacraft. Post pictures of corner and knee braces at the transom and close-ups of oar locks to verify.

Thanks a lot, I'm gonna post more pictures later today. I think the side bench was put in by a previous owner but the front deck looks stock to me. Thanks for checking it out.

In Wisconsin, I'd just call the DNR registry and talk very politely to the person there, asking if that person would check to see what the boat manufacturer's name is on the registration.

(If you are congenial and appreciative, you'd be amazed at how accommodating they can be. ['course, that's true of almost everyone.] But government clerks should get hazardous duty pay for all the abuse they get.)

Best wishes.

Hey guys, thanks again for all the help. I'm in CT, gonna try and go to the DMV and see what they say. I've been told by people that they won't give you any info but it's worth a shot. Will prolly only take three hrs of standing in line, lol.
I really like that the transom wood is easily acessable, some I've seen appear to have braces bolted to it and the boat with rivits. I do find it surprising the plug is in the bottom of the boat, has anyone seen this before?

Thanks, brian

Attachments

• IMG_2693.JPG
    IMG_2693.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,752
  • IMG_2700.JPG
    IMG_2700.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,752
  • IMG_2668.JPG
    IMG_2668.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,752
You might find it faster to call in the Morning and ask for the registration person. It would be a computer search anyway, and rather than standing in line, they can (or may choose not to) tell you right away. Less time wasted all around.

Best wishes. Looks like a neat old hull.

Is this what you were referring to, ericman? Thanks for taking a look!

Attachments

• IMG_2832.PNG
    IMG_2832.PNG
    325.4 KB · Views: 1,692
Can you get a pic looking at the corner plates from directly above them?

Here you go Ericman! Thanks again. Can't seem to find any corner plates that look like these.

Attachments

• IMG_2901.JPG
    IMG_2901.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,661
I'm from Minnesota. The knee braces are not Alumacraft. The corner plates are not alumacraft, seaking, starcraft. The closest thing the corner plates resemble is Larson/Crestliner, but the knee braces are wrong. The knee braces resemble StarCraft and seaking. . . .but the corner plates are wrong (those all had handles) and the starcraft/seakings had the splash rail formed into the hull, not riveted to the hull. The transom and corner plates are definitely not Lund. Being that the knee braces resembled early seaking and StarCraft, I'm thinking deep south, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas. Any number of boat companies were probably buying knee braces and corner plates from outsourced suppliers. So look into LoneStar boats, Arkansas Traveler maybe?

Now I'm thinking Cadillac. Look through these.

https://www.wagemakerwolverineboats.com/cadillac_aluminum_boats.html

Also look through this. Especially the corner plates, etc..

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-repair-and-restoration/boat-restoration-building-and-hull-repair/572803-cadillac-alumimum-boat-restoration

sorry I haven't replied till now. With the holidays the boat got out on the back burner but now with spring coming I'm getting her cleaned up. Ericman it looks like you may be on to something. The corner plates match and the inside and lines look extremely close. When I get the cover off the boat in the nest few days I'll double check. I also plan on sanding off the old layers of paint. Hoping I find some markings as I'm doing so.

Brian

I have a Cadillac 14' open deep V with a 60" transom. The pictures you show have many similarities to mine. The transom looks identical, down to the reinforcements, the drain plug and the corner plates. Looks like you have a Cadillac, model unknown, like mine.

Mine has 4 seats across, the front bow seat is small. Mine was bought new by my father, late 50's, I have the original manual, but it is a generic and the model number is not known. I repainted it in 1969? (the original paint faded quickly and started flaking early in the boat's life, poor factory paint)....and I removed the ID Plate, (little did I know as a teenager) gave it to my Dad, since lost....I am currently replacing the transom wood inside and out. It was all rotted as it has been stored upside down for the last 30 years by my brother....who recently gave me the boat, he never used it after the 40hp Evinrude driveshaft broke and it damaged the end of the crankshaft (he was going to send the motor to the junkyard, and I convinced him to give it to me). No aluminum corrosion though.

Mine was fitted with a side steering wheel , by the dealer, Watsons in Curtis Michigan, between the second and 3rd seats. Powered by a 40hp Evinrude Twin Lark, manual pull start. We spent many hours pulling water skiers until 1975 when all the kids in our family left home, including me. The original motor's lower unit went out and Dad bought a new motor instead of fixing it....another manual start 40hp Evinrude, which I have since rebuilt with a new crank and driveshaft. I hope to mate the two next summer and go boating.

I would really like to know the model of tmy boat, if anyone out there has a clue?

I note you last entered here a few years ago.....hope this reaches you and helps in any way.

Latest posts