trolling motor install on my Alumacraft MV 1648 NCS....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fishfreek said:
Had ano unforseen problem with mounting bracket install. I found out that there is nothing under my deck to mount to. I'll post some pics when I get the hole for the new hatch cut out.

Boy am I glad your adding a hatch. I've been thinking about it but nervous as hell Bc I don't know what it will look like when I cut it open. Luckily for me, your showing me!! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was so P%*#^ off when I discovered there wasn't enough to bolt that mount to. I ended up adding a 6" × 21" piece of plywood from cutting the hatch and an aluminum sheet. Here are a few pics of the process. One thing that I HIGHLY suggest is that if you add a hatch use the ones from R & R Design out of Texas. Beyond top quality. I have ordered both of mine through Cabelas because they have fit my needs and the free shipping.

20161030_111248.jpg

20161030_111700.jpg

20161030_112324.jpg

When you opened up the deck, what is there besides aluminum and plywood? A lot of foam to clear out? Does the deck feel like it's lost stability? Are you adding any support?

As you can see there was 1 large block of white foam that I just cut in half and pulled out. It wasn't attached or glued down. Once I got the hatch sealed and bolted down it actually felt stronger than before. It took some of the flex out.

I actually went back to your build to see if you had added a hatch in that area.LOL

I was hoping to ask you how it went. But I was the guinea pig. It worked out well. Tomorrow I will climb on and jump around around bit. I'd rather find out in my driveway than on the river.

This makes me feel way more confident about taking care of the storage issue. Always enjoy seeing your progress. Seeing multiple takes on the same platform interest me. It's the beauty of Jon boats.

Thanks, that's one of the reasons I like this site so much. It is cool seeing how different people set up the same boat to use in different areas of the country. I can't say enough about the quality of those hatches. They come with a plastic handle to open with but I will probably put a locking one on the battery area. I am putting that in the first hole.

Will you be installing a seat base in the front deck? Was there an issue that prevented you from putting the trolling motor plate below the deck? My old Alumacraft 1648 had 3/4" plywood under the front deck.

Nice build, so far!

No seat pedestal I primarily stand and run the trolling motor. I use a custom Birdsal type trolling motor mount. If you see the previous pictures there wasn't enough plywood to bolt through. So I had to open it up and add plywood and also an aluminum sheet as just in case. That's why I added the second hatch. The only reason I put the brace above the deck was convenience. I didn't have an extra set of hands to help.

The Alumacraft mount is supposed to be mounted on the side not like you have it. They have several types. One for the left side and one for the right side and a true Flat Boat style. I have the left style on mine and run a 80lb Terrova. I don't have any problems.

That mount takes up way too much deck space. Fly lines get completely tangled in it. So many years ago I started using another style that works much better for me. I've been out of town all weekend so hopefully I can get my mount installed today.

I have the same boat.. so all thats there is a layer of plywood and a sheet of aluminum on that front deck? No cross member supports???

What size hatch did you go with? And if you would have known what you were getting into, do you think just one hatch would be big enough to access everywhere you need to get?

Latest posts