identifying wood in my boat.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88evinrude

Reaction score
Hey folks I'm hoping some of you may be able to help me. I've recently took owner ship of a Starcraft that has been redone. My issue is I have no idea what kind of wood was used and unfortunately I don't have any numbers or markings on the wood to go by. My main concern is galavanic corrosion it could cause if its pressure treated. I'm hoping some of you with more experience can help me. I will be adding some pictures that may help. The boat also had some standing water in it when I got it. The precious owners left the plug in it. I think its non treated exterior wood but 'm not sure

Attachments

• wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 670
  • wood1.jpg
    wood1.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 670
  • wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 670
  • wood3.jpg
    wood3.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 670
  • pt4.jpg
    pt4.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 670
  • pt1.jpg
    pt1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 670
Didn't I see those same pictures on another site in the last few days?

I think the consensus was that there wasn't enough information to make a full determination. I'd guess that, if the wood has been on your boat for some time, and if the aluminum that is touching the bare wood hasn't shown any sign of deterioration...then it isn't treated wood.

If it keeps on bothering you, ( and I understand that ), then just replace it.

regards, and welcome aboard..... richg99

richg99 said:
Didn't I see those same pictures on another site in the last few days?

I think the consensus was that there wasn't enough information to make a full determination. I'd guess that, if the wood has been on your boat for some time, and if the aluminum that is touching the bare wood hasn't shown any sign of deterioration...then it isn't treated wood.

If it keeps on bothering you, ( and I understand that ), then just replace it.

regards, and welcome aboard..... richg99
Possibly. I like to get as many opinions as possible. I guess checking for corrosion regularly would be my best bet. If it has to come out Ill remove it.

For anyone reading this I found some info on the wood in my boat. The best I can tell the 2x2x8 pieces used for framing for the plywood are untreated. I also found a stamp on one of the lids but it is faded and hard to read. The best I could make out it said it was exterior grade 1 and it does have the APA stamp. I couldn't make out a treatment mark.

Like Rich said - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

basically, you have no idea how long the wood has been there or its history.
I would say by the discoloration of the plywood it is over a year old if the P/O stored it outside.
much older if it has been kept in a garage or basement when not in use.
if you don't see any deterioration of the metals by now, it will be fine for another few years.
just run a check every few months and enjoy your new boat.

how is your boat stored now when not in use ?

Johnny said:
Like Rich said - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

basically, you have no idea how long the wood has been there or its history.
I would say by the discoloration of the plywood it is over a year old if stored outside.
much older if it has been kept in a garage when not in use.
if you don't see any deterioration of the metals by now, it will be fine for another few years.
just run a check every few months and enjoy your new boat.

how is your boat stored now when not in use ?
The boat was outside when I got it and I'm assuming it was stored outside as well. As far as storage goes now it is under my carport. I will also be getting a cover to put on it as well.

Latest posts