Monark 14 ft upgrades

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good, Johnny. What size fish can they handle.

I just took the pedestal off the rear seat and mounted it on the 1/2" swivel plate which is going to be too low. Grr. i had this same issue on my first boat 35 years ago.

oh I have no idea of the stress limits on the holder.
it all depends on how you mount it, what it is mounted to.
and what kind of fish you target.
this particular rig was for my wife's "Crappie Station" on our bass boat.
the PVC rig was removable when fishing for bass or salt water use.
Bass Boat 010.JPG

and on the subject of cutting:
"For every one I cut right I cut another one wrong. As I understand it you measure once and cut twice"
nooooo - make a cardboard template !!!!

when I worked for a handyman company, a seasoned tile setter taught me to make
several paper templates the same size as the tile we were working with......
when it came time for difficult cuts - make a paper pattern FIRST - trace the design
to the tile with a Sharpie and CUT ONCE !! LOL we saved a lot of money with that tip !!
plus - it makes for a much neater job if the tile is cut to fit perfectly.

keep up the good work !!!!

Finally tried out the rod holders yesterday and they'll do just fine. Bolted them in the oar locks and bought two more locks to install for two holders up front.

la8BDlOl.jpg

Different type of seat that doesn't aggravate my back.

0JmKfnol.jpg

Two coolers between the benches for storage. Not sure about framing any thing permanent just yet. Two buckets keep bait alive. I caught several bream first thing yesterday and dropped them over the side but no takers.

MyngYwVl.jpg

Nice long pedal cord for the trolling motor. I almost feel guilty about some of the things I stole off craigslist including the boat. Traded the transom trolling moter that came with the boat for two nice baitcasting rods and reels.

zK50bjbl.jpg

The brush in my old spots has mostly disappeared so I made a couple of crappie condos using cheap drip pipe and 4 inch pvc halfway full of Sakrete. Enough pipe is laying around to make 12 two-footers.

zy4NcHFl.jpg

Thanks Johnny. I figure $5 or $7 each. I almost bought some of those Bill Dance porcupines but these should work just as well.

water bouy said:
Thanks kindly. While i was at Lowes I checked out their carpet with the rubber backing. Anybody recommend it? I got a couple more runners done today and decided it needs a casting deck at bench level after all. It'll have plenty of room underneath for a battery and whatnots and if I find it sits too high it'll be easy to take off.

lowes carpet is what i had in mine.......doesnt last.

oakchas said:
water bouy said:
Thanks kindly. While i was at Lowes I checked out their carpet with the rubber backing. Anybody recommend it? I got a couple more runners done today and decided it needs a casting deck at bench level after all. It'll have plenty of room underneath for a battery and whatnots and if I find it sits too high it'll be easy to take off.

Store 2611, Omaha NE here!

I work at Lowe's... I went to boatcarpet.com. for my boat carpet.
The face weight on Lowe's carpet is lower than 16 oz.; at least what's available in our store.

I also purchased boat carpet padding from another source, bassboatseats.com... Just to cover the areas where the most traffic will be.

I bought vinyl and sold the carpet and may leave the floor bare once I rivet everything together. I think the middle bench will eventually have an aisle through it with storage on each side.

Until today my plan was to rivet angle along each side and then to the planks so I can put an aisle through the middle bench but now I'm not so sure it needs all that. If the middle bench is braced with angle to planks running under it, it looks like it would have as much support as it needs? And then no need to penetrate the outside.

RRtWx5xl.jpg

These planks are similar, in case anyone needs em.

https://www.repurposedmaterialsinc.com/aluminum-bleacher-planks/dfw-aluminum-bleacher-planks-15-x9-5-x2-cheap-surplus-salvage-used/

water bouy said:
Until today my plan was to rivet angle along each side and then to the planks so I can put an aisle through the middle bench but now I'm not so sure it needs all that. If the middle bench is braced with angle to planks running under it, it looks like it would have as much support as it needs? And then no need to penetrate the outside.

You're talking about still keeping the middle bench as it is attached to the sides and just cutting an isle out of the center section of it correct? Then bracing the remaining sections to the planks? If so that sounds fine. You're keeping the bench up the side of the boat and tying the sides back to the stiffened floor area which is all it really does in the first place.

Your planks have added stiffness to the floor, but the sides still need to be tied in, so if I'm not understanding your design you need to keep this fact in mind.

That's it. Before I cut the bench I'll rivet angle on each side of it to the planks. It's a relief that that's all it needs. And I'll rivet angle to the sides of the planks so they're tied to each other and to each bench. Before all that I'll take it apart and put in flotation and wiring. The piece i cut out will be 14 inches or so which i can use for something else. A battery can go in each side. Meanwhile I shortened and painted a blue barrel and simplified the fish attractors.

iqbBELCl.jpg

AaVKgB3l.jpg

last year's christmas tree has a 5 gallon [strike]pale[/strike] pail worth of concrete and a big splash in its future...

Wow! You cranked out some crappie condos alright. Those are going to be sweet.

I can only imagine the faces on people who see you riding down the water with those things loaded in your boat as you're on your way to drop them off. :D

The planks work okay resting along the sides but I found a large leftover piece of composite honeycomb something or another I'm going to try. I was told it's waterproof. It's about 5/8" thick, about half as heavy as plywood and it has no give when laid on conduits 12 inches apart. And it didn't cost much. I thought it had aluminum skin before I drove an hour each way but it turns out it doesn't. I expect it'll do fine. Been wanting something I could hinge and the planks are too thick.

2Iqpb8yl.jpg

WwleBdYl.jpg

Latest posts