Transom savers....a middle ground

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I was the OP....and after three pages of friendly discussion...we probably ought to put this one to bed. The subject has been debated on boating sites ad-infinitum.

I guess it is like Ford or Chevy???

richg99

You're right about putting this to bed. I guess if we all had the exact same boat, motor and trailer setup then we could compare apples to apples, but obviously we do not. Let's just keep doing what we're doing, especially if it's working, and continue to bounce ideas and thoughts off of one another. Frankly I've learned a lot being a part of this forum and will continue to reply and ask like I always have. Thanks for this thread Rich99.

Put to bed or not, I tend to agree with the view that a transom saver's job is to take pressure off the transom by supporting some of the weight at the lower unit. And I do agree with the above assessment that having all items bound together in a tight fashion is the best route. 3 boats over the last 20yrs, all used typical transom savers with the boats strapped to the trailer, and I haven't experienced a single crack in fiberglass or aluminum yet.

As for the shock of bumps and whatnot while driving down the road, that's what we have tires and springs on the trailer for. I insure my rigs are heavy enough to flex the springs the way they should, and my tires are inflated to a point where they'll eat some of the bumps as well.

To put a spring in the saver means the motor bouncing up and down would then be bumping against the tilt and trim hydraulic cylinder putting undue wear on it/them, assuming the rig is so equipped.

Since we're quoting physics law here, I will too. "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction". To me, mitigating the action portion of that should be the primary concern, beyond that, the reaction is inevitable. So in my alleged brain, the more shock that is absorbed in the tires and springs, the less has to be dealt with on down the line.

Ultimately, I guess it's all a matter of where we want that shock being absorbed. Sure, some will always make it to the hull and outboard. But my experiences haven't made me concerned so much that I seek to improve upon a system that has, to date, given me no problems.

The outboard you describe (power tilt and trim) is a mid sized motor. 50hp+? I think the disconnect here is we're comparing apples to oranges. The spring assisted TS's are pretty small and are for smaller outboards. i've had a Tohatsu 18, Honda 25 and Yami 15 and used them. At that weight the spring doesnt bounce...it dampens. If you put a 180lb motor on that same TS it would probably behave just as you describe. It would bounce. As i recall there arent any longer/bigger TS's on the market with springs. If someone were so inclined they could fabricate a TS for any size/weight motor and dial in the correct spring rate and dampening but i dont think the benefits are significant enough to make it worthwhile. However....if you have a smaller outboard...i think they are worth looking at. Similar price as one without.

Latest posts