Hull dents

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
with any patch filler - aggressive tooth is the key for a successful patch.
remove all paint from the area - hand-sand with 40 grit paper in a criss-cross
pattern to get as much rough surface as possible to grip and hold the filler material.
if you sand smooth with the orbital sander, your chances of a good bond is decreased.
sand the filler smooth and feather the edges after the filler has fully cured.
then, proceed with the appropriate cleaning, primer and paint.

I beat as many of the dents out that I could from the rock I hit last summer and the years of river abuse. Had a hook at the transom I straightened. What I couldn't fix I used metal 2 metal filler on and then painted with Wetlander.

It came out looking almost like a new bottom.

https://www.eastwood.com/metal-to-metal-filler-quart-with-hardner.html?fee=7&fep=76&SRCCODE=PLA00020&product_id=10021ZP&adpos=1o1&creative=83580268380&device=m&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAiAirXFBRCQyvL279Tnx1ESJAB-G-QvIgx2CCdE0pjEd1rVMRv93wdADKhD7NfgJI9BvYDGfhoC4TDw_wcB

Attachments

• 20170206_104735.jpg
    20170206_104735.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,538
only problem is, this tracker is .063 aluminum. Im not sure id want to touch it for fear of cracking/creasing/etc. and I dont see 5 mph from that damage. are you sure that the motor isnt just getting broken in and not as tight as when you first rebuilt it?

are you turning the same rpm as before?

if you buy my 75, ill knock 500 off it to keep it in the local family

JoshKeller said:
only problem is, this tracker is .063 aluminum. Im not sure id want to touch it for fear of cracking/creasing/etc. and I dont see 5 mph from that damage. are you sure that the motor isnt just getting broken in and not as tight as when you first rebuilt it?

This is what I'm afraid of as well.

Not sure on the motor being broken in and loosening up a bit. Certainly could be. RPM's are the same as before. When it was first rebuilt I was getting 26 up river by myself and no gear. Now by myself and minimal fishing gear up river I'm about 20-21. I'll tear the foot off and check the impeller and clearance before I take it back out. The hook on the transom is the only other thing I can think of that would be causing my issue.

Thanks, but I'm good on the motor for now.

I have a few dents that size on a 1752, including one on the outside edge that throws a little extra spray on plane. I only lost maybe couple mph at most off the original top end of 26 mph.

I would try the filler material first. Even if it doesn't last, it would tell you if you'll get the 5 mph back that way,
before you risk re-forming the aluminum.

Good luck.

Here is my liner and impeller. Dressed up the impeller and the liner looks like normal wear to me. No big gouges or anything at all. The impeller is shimmed nice and tight as well, .015 all the way around.

Any good source for the impeller nut keeper? Broke one of the ears off of mine getting the impeller off. I have a spare, but it used and I'd like to get a new one to put back on. Marineengine.com has them for $12 a piece. Wasn't sure if they were cheaper anywhere else?

IMG_20170223_175111_zps4yje883q.jpg

IMG_20170223_175123_zpsthilzxmh.jpg

IMG_20170223_175309_zpsfybdh1c5.jpg

IMG_20170223_175331_zpsoxg1vovf.jpg

Any good source for the impeller nut keeper? Broke one of the ears off of mine getting the impeller off. I have a spare, but it used and I'd like to get a new one to put back on. Marineengine.com has them for $12 a piece. Wasn't sure if they were cheaper anywhere else?

You can get them from OBJ for about $2, but I don't know how much the shipping would cost. Might try eBay.

didnt you relocated batteries from when you first bought it?

and i have a spare keeper washer. its double the thickness of the stock ones, so they wont break.

BigTerp said:
JoshKeller said:

This is what I'm afraid of as well.

Not sure on the motor being broken in and loosening up a bit. Certainly could be. RPM's are the same as before. When it was first rebuilt I was getting 26 up river by myself and no gear. Now by myself and minimal fishing gear up river I'm about 20-21. I'll tear the foot off and check the impeller and clearance before I take it back out. The hook on the transom is the only other thing I can think of that would be causing my issue.

Thanks, but I'm good on the motor for now.

JoshKeller said:
didnt you relocated batteries from when you first bought it?

and i have a spare keeper washer. its double the thickness of the stock ones, so they wont break.

No, I haven't changed anything since I first set it up.

I'm thinking it's the bottom condition and the little hook I have near the transom. The bottom certainly isn't as good as it was from day one.

I guess my foam could be waterlogged. I put in the blue sheets from Lowes when I rebuilt the boat 3-1/2 years ago. I do fill it up with water maybe twice a year to check for leaks. Not sure if that's enough for that foam to get waterlogged or not? I would think not. Other than that, it lives under a cover and stays dry.

Thanks on the washer. I went ahead and ordered that along with a few other spare parts to keep on hand from OBJ this morning.

We'll see how cleaning up the impeller does. I tried to polish it as well, but it's already in pretty good looking shape. I'm going to have it out soon with a buddy in the back to see how it does.

What do you guys think of my liner condition?

Also, I sharpened my 3 blade stainless impeller from the top, not the bottom like OBJ suggests. Lil Blue Rude does it this way on 3 blade impellers (as well as others) and says they perform better. I have one blade that is needing more filing then the rest but don't want to take off too much material. How much filing is too much? Also, how "perfect" do the beveled edges need to be? Should I be trying to get them just like the OBJ diagram shows, or is close enough good? How do you guys polish your stainless impellers?

I'm not sure about OB jet pumps, but on my PWC pump, the clearance between impeller & pump hsg is critical. Once past wear limit, thrust goes way down.

I take mine as seriously as hitting it with the grinder, then removing the burr on the opposite side. Takes me longer to remove the boot than sharpen the impeller

BigTerp said:
JL8Jeff said:
Do you have the stock reeds or aftermarket ones in the motor?

Aftermarket. Chris Carson reeds.

Do you think they could have weakened or something and are causing a slight loss of power? Just a thought.

Latest posts