Hull dents

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JL8Jeff said:
BigTerp said:
JL8Jeff said:
Do you have the stock reeds or aftermarket ones in the motor?

Aftermarket. Chris Carson reeds.

Do you think they could have weakened or something and are causing a slight loss of power? Just a thought.

I've thought about this as well, but haven't taken them out to see. I'll have the boat out this weekend so we'll see how it runs after cleaning up the impeller and shimming it down one shim (if I can).

Got my impeller dressed up and to my surprise was able to shim it down one shim without it rubbing. The .015" feeler gauge was pretty tight in spots, but still fit the whole way around. There are still some spots that are .025" or greater, but afraid if I go down another shim it will rub. Taking it out Saturday to see if any of this made some improvements.

IMG_20170224_183139_zpsh3ltn5dg.jpg

IMG_20170224_182916_zpsedxs6eic.jpg
[/quote]

my ghetto way of checking clearance... pull out the spark plugs. shim the impeller. set the liner up. put 2 bolts in. have someone turn the flywheel by hand. shim it down as much as i can without rubbing.

JoshKeller said:
my ghetto way of checking clearance... pull out the spark plugs. shim the impeller. set the liner up. put 2 bolts in. have someone turn the flywheel by hand. shim it down as much as i can without rubbing.

Will do it like this the next time I have a helper. Honestly didn't feel like tearing it all apart again the other night to try one more shim on top. Pure laziness.

Since OBJ recommends a clearance of .030" with an aluminum impeller and you say the .015" gauge is tight in spots, I'd say you need to run it before trying to add another shim on top. If I'm running a liner with some noticeable wear on it, I like to paint the inside of the liner with some black spray paint after adding shims on top. Makes it easier to tell if the impeller is rubbing.

FWIW, I don't think there is anything to gain by running an impeller with less than .020". It usually just results in more wear on the liner and impeller with little or no gain in performance.

Yeah, it's stainless.

Not much gained by shimming down and cleaning up the impeller. Hole shot was slightly better. Top end about the same. 19-20 up river and 23-24 down river. I need to get a passenger in the boat to see how it does. With just me it plows at the bow. My boat is definitely set up to run best with a second person in the rear seat.

Latest posts