16' Naden resurrection.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2ae9c69b666ad759ea1a4b58d3c462b7.jpg

Hit the rail with a buffing wheel just for giggles. That's a reflection of my phone! I think I may polish the rail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9adf07376c4ef52fdecdd29005596f47.jpg

Scrubbed the hull down with vinegar and scotch brite. You can see the difference in this pic.

eda8d4048f862735219008373d1b0ce0.jpg

Whole boat has been stripped and wire wheeled. Will go over it with a palm sander and then a prep wash before paint. Got a few rivets to replace and some minor straightening here and there first.

ec9ad01b9f0fb1d1d9e7e2a2d3cba9ac.jpg

The gunwale rail had pulled away in a few spots so some clamping, tapping and riveting was called for.

80f29a097fbeb7372b9fa2454cbb8333.jpg

590093bae4685bbef822f78c63a2170c.jpg

Gave it a once over with the palm sander and called it good enough. The outside is ready for paint. My plan is to paint the inside first so I'll have to enlist the help of a couple of my sons to flip this thing.

676de0d5d78a6d680cca8343747f7a5a.jpg

I picked up this nyalox brush on the weekend. It's a lot more gentle than the stainless wire cup brush I'm using on the grinder. It leaves a nice brushed look. This brush is tougher than it looks, a brass wheel would have worn out by now.

I admire your dedication!
That boat looks like a solid built boat.
It's gonna look good when your done.
Wouldn't you like to hear the stories that boat could tell?
Good luck with it.

Steve A W

Steve A W said:
I admire your dedication!
That boat looks like a solid built boat.
It's gonna look good when your done.
Wouldn't you like to hear the stories that boat could tell?
Good luck with it.

Steve A W

For sure. As a former resort rental, there has got
To be a pile of pictures out there with people holding fish. I hope it's a good fish catching boat!
Thanks, I have a minds eye picture of what I hope it's going to look like so I hope I can come close.

Been busy at work, long hours, so don't feel like working when I get home. Spent a bit of time on the Naden tonight, got the side rails cleaned up. Going to use the nyalox brush on the top rail. Then another once over on the inside before a vinegar wash. Picked up some enamel hardener last weekend. I am going with tremclad/rustoleum oil based enamel.

2a5b21d299c624a7c6335c3281aacc41.jpg

Spent some time rearranging my garage for more space. Gave the inside of the hull a good going over with a wire cup brush on a grinder (that's twice now). Then after a blow out and a vacuum, I sprayed the whole inside with vinegar and wiped down. The vinegar really cleans aluminum. I am counting on this as I am doing a low budget paint job using vinegar as the cleaner and Tremclad/Rustoleum with enamel hardener for paint. I plan to shoot it with my el cheapo paint gun that came with the compressor umpteen years ago. Wish me luck!

9c95f81481ce0462c017c229ab977fba.jpg

Was initially going to use the vinegar wash then right to paint for a low buck job. The more I read, the more I see it said that an etching primer is a must. I painted a boat once before with rattle cans and it held up good for the 3 more years that I had it. But I don't want to spend all this effort for it to look like crap because I cheaped out. So I got some etching primer. At $10 a can I figure probably 3 for the inside and 2 for the out. I'm only going to spray it on the bare aluminum spots.
Oil based enamel and hardener for the top coat.

abdefdae0108c3707525dff4becdac13.jpg

Light coat of self etching primer. Which makes me think, why didn't I just paint the whole thing flat green and be done with. Lol. 3 cans exactly did the inside and transom. Just...

I have a question about your paint choice.
Your TremClad is an Alkyd Enamel and your ProForm Universal Hardener is for Acrylic Enamels.
With my real lack of paint knowledge, does this combination work?
Thanks, trying to learn something new everyday. :)

FishinLite said:
I have a question about your paint choice.
Your TremClad is an Alkyd Enamel and your ProForm Universal Hardener is for Acrylic Enamels.
With my real lack of paint knowledge, does this combination work?
Thanks, trying to learn something new everyday. :)
Now you have me worried. Lol. The guy at ideal supply said it would work. I know valspar makes one but I haven't been able to find any. -I emailed proform today but they haven't replied yet. I have found a couple guys on the forums that say the proform hardener works with oil based enamels. I guess I'll find out!

So there's a long complicated answer, but the guy I talked to said something like yes the isocyanates will cross link and it will work.

01b37032f666ed4b66d2cf7e45edf98a.jpg

5343a7edda240dd7ca470dcb9af46c48.jpg

So I mixed one oz per cup of paint, reduced with xylene to desired thickness and shot it. Yeah it's got a few runs and I've got a couple excuses but mostly I forgot how much oil based enamel flows. At the end of the day it looks 10 times better than it was. Plus I have enough left to sand and touch up a few spots.

Two days later it's dry. Gave a quick sand on some of the runs and touched up. Looks good. Cleaned up the sprayer then realized I forgot to put a second coat on the transom. Crap! The plan is to flip it on the weekend and start on the outside. I'll touch up the stern then.

Latest posts