trailer build sport canoe

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like it!
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Greenfield-Sky-Winch/1342300.uts?productVariantId=3069153&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03346565&rid=20&gclid=CjwKEAiAvs7CBRC24rao6bGCoiASJABaCt5DgxGRYRt2Ag2-2RGFsSkRPdYrdVUnZShRmJORKVBnDhoCglzw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I guess I'd like to see one in action on a boat of my size (1652 G3). But, it does solve some of the issues that I have experienced.

My only negative observation is that the lever arm is much longer than a normal winch. One would have to be certain that their winch riser would accommodate the new device.

Price isn't too bad. Higher than a small regular winch, to be sure, but if it eliminated the ....strap-clipping-dance,.... It would be well worth it.

It does take two hands.... but I don't see that as a major issue, either.

I'd have to change out my painter/bow rope.The floating polyethylene rope that I presently use wouldn't "grab" in the gears, I think.

Since I often have my boat hook with me, if need be, I could hook the bow rope with the boat hook, and drag it inshore to be draped over the new winch. This device might keep me from having to jump back in and start the motor....and then drive the boat up the bunks.

PLEASE keep us posted if you buy it. However, at 20 degrees below, I don't think you'll have it on the water anytime soon.

richg99

Rich it has to rotate, no ratcheting, turns only one way and has a release lever. then it will free wheel either way.
I bought a couple of these a year or so ago had one on the 10' lone star trailer, took it off because I am letting a buddy use the boat and I was afraid he may mess up, not strapping the bow down,so I put the old style back on for him to use. I didn't use it very often , but it did pick up the empty boat from the lawn and up and onto the trailer very easily. On a ramp I could drive the boat all the way on the trailer with out the winch.
The handle is about 9" I had mine a little farther away from the boat to stay out of the way of trolling motor when launching, and the handle did seem longer, better leverage, then a normal winch, maybe an inch? But being able to put the rope of any length on,is well worth having if your not to heavy, pulling 350lbs you can drag a pretty good size boat with the proper covered bunks on the trailer.
I originally bought these to use as a lifting devices for hauling gear up in trees, chainsaws, deer, easier then trying to hold a rope while using block and tackle, this will hold a vertical load as long as there is tension being applied could be dangerous if not done properly.

Here is the reply that I just received from Greenfield.. Hard working guy, replying in a Sunday evening.

Hi Rich-
Thanks for your interest in SkyWinch.
The current (original) model does not have gear/ratchet. It turns on a 1:1 ratio and works exactly as shown in the video.

We are currently developing a Heavy-Duty (geared/ratchet) version to be introduced sometime in 2017.
So far, the ratcheted model has handled very heavy loads, so the only limitations will be the strength of the rope.

We will also be offering a mounting system to use the original SkyWinch as an anchor retriever.
Please watch our site for information about both new products.
Thanks,
Wes

Well it finally warmed up enough I was able to get the back gates opened and the boat out of the back.
The sky winch works if you have a strain on it, with no weight or pressure the line will slip, hold the bitter end tight so it can get a bite on the line and it will pull till the line breaks, it needs a load to get a grip.
I like it, my boat weighs nothing, 110lbs, so I can pull it easily without the winch on level ground, once loaded it will be just right. I installed a turnbuckle as a safety to hold the bow while driving, along with a ring I made from two J bolts welded through the 1/2" bow eye, fashioned an oblong ring 1/2 thick 2"x5", I believe they had the painter line tied through this 1/2" rough nasty hole before.
To late for pictures tonight.
I've done a lot to get it street legal again so I can take the boat to the lake an see how it floats,well after I fire up the motors to make sure they all run, I'm not sure if the ice is gone at the lake yet.
Spent my down time this cold snowy season checking out places I can and will use this little boat.
The set up with the rollers may be just what is needed to launch this boat. Many places have no ramps, you must carry the boat to the water.
This high roller trailer is at a good height to manhandle the boat and will be nice in getting down the river embankments, and over the post and cables that surround the parking areas, I hope they don't ban people till after I'm dead and gone.
Will post some pictures soon.
With an irrigation controlled lake here, the level is dropped 20' in the winter and in a couple weeks it will be raised and I want to see what the canyon walls look like at the low water level, where fish will be in the summer. Not many nice days mostly high winds 50 60 mph gust so looking for the one good day to run up the canyon.
So first things first, lots more to do on the trailer, boat and the motors. Test the motors starting tomorrow, then a water test asap. pictures have to wait.

Sounds good. Glad I don't have to wait for weather so much as you do.

Be sure to take lots of pictures and depth readings when the lake is so low. You'll use them at full pool. Rich

I am going to up load some pictures while it warms up some outside. This is all in the rough stages it can all be fixed by a weldor with some power tools, paint will cover it all up.

Attachments

• IMG_0230.JPG
    IMG_0230.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,009
  • IMG_0228.JPG
    IMG_0228.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,009
  • IMG_0227.JPG
    IMG_0227.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,009
  • IMG_0176.JPG
    IMG_0176.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 1,009
I got me an idea.
It's all heavy wall stuff and I got to put motors someplace safer then on a transom, laying in the camper or boat bottom while transporting them, but is trailers the place for it,
ahh I'll weld a hitch on it, and that will tie it to trailers .don't want stuff where it don't belong.

Attachments

• IMG_0231.JPG
    IMG_0231.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,008
well finally got to put some time in on the trailer, It has changed a little from when I started.

Attachments

• 7-IMG_0287.JPG
    7-IMG_0287.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 981
the rollers and the ramp material I used for a walk way. I also put the cross piece in thinking to use on bunks.

Attachments

• 4-IMG_0278.JPG
    4-IMG_0278.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 436
  • 2-IMG_0277.JPG
    2-IMG_0277.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 436
I decided to go with the sky winch over the normal strap one. I have a safety didn't get a shot of that yet.

Attachments

• 5-IMG_0284.JPG
    5-IMG_0284.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 435
  • 3-IMG_0279.JPG
    3-IMG_0279.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 435
  • 6-IMG_0281.JPG
    6-IMG_0281.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 435

Latest posts