Has anyone ran the 4S SS impeller in a 2S

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what I'm basing my conclusion on. Look at the distance marked by the red line and compare it to the pics of LarryMC's pics. It's a 4S impeller. I've seen the 4S impellers in a number of different finishes including freshly ground like they'd just finished grinding a 2S down :cry: .

Attachments

• IMG_9636.JPG
    IMG_9636.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 2,183
mphelle said:
Well, you can't have too many photos, (hopefully you aren't going by the finish that quicksilver uses), with your trailing edges fairly lined up, the respective leading edge of the 4s hasn't "rotated" into the picture. Gives you a feel for how much trailing edge was removed.

If you could get a photo of your 4s in the same orientation of his below, we could wrap up this post.

I can't get a photo in the same orientation without pulling the foot off my motor and taking the 4S impeller off the shaft and I'm not inclined to do that solely to settle an argument. Lil' Blue Rude's post above should be enough to convince anyone that redrum has a 4S impeller.

If redrum wants to go to the trouble to do it, a sure way to determine if he has a 4S impeller is to drop the impeller down into the liner and measure the distance down from the top of the liner to where the trailing edge touches the inside of the liner. A 2S impeller's trailing edges will be almost even with the top of the liner. A 4S impeller's trailing edges will touch the inside of the liner approximately 1" down from the top of the liner.

Really didn't see an argument here, just gathering information that might help someone on the forum. I frequent many forums and don't think I've ever had to ask for help for myself, just try to get people back on the road or water. I even spent some time looking for your 90/65. Anyway, good info on measuring the impellers in the liner, had no idea they would have such a difference in height.

mphelle said:
Really didn't see an argument here, just gathering information that might help someone on the forum. I frequent many forums and don't think I've ever had to ask for help for myself, just try to get people back on the road or water. I even spent some time looking for your 90/65. Anyway, good info on measuring the impellers in the liner, had no idea they would have such a difference in height.

My apologies for the argument comment, Apparently, I misinterpreted your previous post.

Larry is right about redrum's impeller it's a 4s one. Rude is probably right as well in that he would be fine running it. I now have larry's old 2s impeller he sold it to me. I can take more pics of it if someone would like as it isn't in my motor yet. Have to say thanks to larry for selling it to me. Said it was like new along with the liner he sold to me with it, and he wasn't lying looks like it wasn't even run at all, and he shipped it out quick. Wish mercury/quicksilver changed the part number when they changed the design and still offered both styles of impellers. I'm sure it would be more money than it's worth, but I wonder what it would cost to have a batch of 2s impellers made.

Post some pics. That would always help. I'll try to do some measuring like Larry described.

Wow Andy, you really showed some patience on that one, you've been looking for that impeller for a long time. It will interesting to see your results. If you wouldn't mind taking a photo like redrum I'll add it to my collection.

impeller3.jpg

I'll shuffle alongside the bandwagon until I see the same photo of the cutback quicksilver 4s.

handyandy said:
I'm sure it would be more money than it's worth, but I wonder what it would cost to have a batch of 2s impellers made.

A heck of a lot more than buying an aluminum 2S impeller from outboard jets.
cool_shades.gif

LarryMc said:
handyandy said:
I'm sure it would be more money than it's worth, but I wonder what it would cost to have a batch of 2s impellers made.

A heck of a lot more than buying an aluminum 2S impeller from outboard jets.
cool_shades.gif

True but typically the stainless 2s impellers were good for a little more speed than the aluminums and last longer. Thanks for selling me yours and giving me a fair price I appreciate it. Larry is real stand up guy to deal with. Any dealers or anyone else with 2s stainless impeller that I could find was trying to gouge me for more than what a brand new 4s one cost, which I wasn't willing to give. I'll try to remember to take some more pictures of the 2s one this evening. I got a another 2s stainless one that was real cheap but it was pretty well wore out. I've used my tig welder to weld a bead along the outside edge and leading edge of the impeller to build it back up I still need to grind and file it all smooth to fit in the liner right it will be a lot of work. Basically I'm trying to refurbish the old wore out one like how it's done with inboard jet pump impellers. The impeller I'm doing it on was cheap enough and wore out enough I don't really care if it works out well or not. We'll see how it works out will be a little while before I can finish it lot of other crap keeps getting in the way that needs to get worked on more so than a impeller experiment.

finally remembered to snap some pictures of 2s impeller hope it helps

Attachments

• IMG_1730.JPG
    IMG_1730.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 2,064
  • IMG_1731.JPG
    IMG_1731.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 2,064
  • IMG_1732.JPG
    IMG_1732.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 2,064
  • IMG_1733.JPG
    IMG_1733.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 2,064
LarryMc said:
If redrum wants to go to the trouble to do it, a sure way to determine if he has a 4S impeller is to drop the impeller down into the liner and measure the distance down from the top of the liner to where the trailing edge touches the inside of the liner. A 2S impeller's trailing edges will be almost even with the top of the liner. A 4S impeller's trailing edges will touch the inside of the liner approximately 1" down from the top of the liner.

I had to take my pump off and remembered to compare the two impellers as Larry described. As you can see in the included picture. The SS impeller on the left sits down much further into the impeller than the 2S aluminum one on the right.

Attachments

• 4S-2S.JPG
    4S-2S.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 956
Look what I've got! I bought another boat with a 2002 Mercury 60/40 jet. It has the Mercury 2 stroke stainless 3 blade impeller. I'm still running the 4S stainless 3 blade. I may do a parking lot swap comparison after the holiday weekend.

IMG_3532.JPGIMG_3533.JPGIMG_3534.JPGIMG_3535.JPG

nice hopefully it isn't too wore out. I still have my old wore out one that I welded on sitting on my work bench, haven't gotten around still to trying figure out a good way to turn it back down.

Latest posts