Need a new project boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skanders01

Reaction score
Looking for a new (to me) 14' aluminium boat built in the same year as my current project Sea Horses, 1954. I need recommendations as to what manufacturers made the widest transoms and had the widest beams on their 14' ers. This new to me one will have more than one motor and I am not so agile as I used to be, thus a wider beam.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions as to what manufacturers to start looking at.

Thanks!

Wished I could send you a picture of three shiny newly rebuilt green Sea Horses, Johnny, but as you can see in the pictures, I can only show the before, and during, but no after (I see the pics order is backwards.) Making four become three, the one in the middle of the pic of three will be missing several parts when I am done. Not sure what to do about the fourth. Runs great and doesn't look too bad. Maybe just redo the cowl and otherwise touch-up paint.

Sorry I can't show you what I am doing for connecting the finished three together for remote control. Yes three!...Folly? Perhaps. we'll see. This will be my winter project to invent. I am a recently retired mechanical engineer, so once the motors are finished and I have a boat with a wide enough transom, my winter challenge will be how to marry the three into a common control.

I am at the point of prepping the motors for paint and am researching a process. I see you have interesting links in your signature block, Johnny. I will be googling them soon! I am not looking for showroom quality, just a reasonable outcome for a reasonable effort that will outlast me.

Thanks,

Attachments

• 100_1888.JPG
    100_1888.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 1,258
  • 100_1970.JPG
    100_1970.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,258
  • 100_1968.JPG
    100_1968.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 1,258
oh wow !! that will be one very fine FUN MACHINE !!
Hope your restorations are successful and trouble free.

There is a photo here on the net with a guy that has three (3)
restored Johnson Javelins (35hp each) on a boat but I can't find it now.
Maybe Pappy or Steve can post if they know where it is.
I am pretty sure it was posted on the https://www.aomci.org/ website.
If you have not visited it already, that is a good place to visit and just hang out.
https://www.aomci.org/ has several threads on how to refurbish and paint the motors.
along with info about the accurate decals that go with them.

Really looking forward to seeing the end result !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks for the pics and information. Hope you find the right boat
that will compliment your motors.

and no, your desires are in no way a folly !! I LOVE IT !!
The last double set I had was back in the '70s with
twin Homelite Bearcat 55s on it !!

Absolutely awesome picture, Johnny, thanks for finding it. Makes me want to hurry my project up! I never have been one to reinvent the wheel, so I will diligently review the controls here. I may not be a reinventer, but I am absolutely a backseat driver and counterpuncher. You can count on me to tweak...

I did join AOMCI, and it has been money well spent. A bunch of very dedicated hobbiests and helpful folks. Yea, there is too much painting input there. I read your article on primers; great summary. Very straight forward and informative. I plan to put my trust in a local multi-line distributor for their recommendations. Only issue will be the color match of the SeaHorse green which may likely be a first for their recommended paint system provider...then again, maybe one of their other paint suppliers can give them input that may help.

Thanks again for the picture...I am going to print a big copy to post above my tool chest.

LOL oh yea, a big color photo in your shop will give you
the inspiration to keep things moving along.

the steering connector bars seem pretty straight forward.
just some Clevis end connectors and some stainless rod
to make you a long turn-buckle type rod so they can be fine tuned.

I don't know where you are located, but, in my town, NAPA sells
special mix auto paint now . . . with large color chips to pick your color.
Some folks on the AOMCI forum may be able to hook you up with
the correct paint colors and source.

GOOD LUCK !!

Hi!

In response to your inquiry:

I see from your pictures you are planning to use multiple small motors.

Arkansas Traveler had a very large 14' utility model in the 50's that had three seats topped with mushroom growing plywood and oak gunnels. My father had about a dozen of them that he rented to fishermen from the Chicagoland area. This boat has an elegant appearance with a wide high beam and lower, narrower transom. They looked somewhat bullet shaped with wasp waste at the transom. A 10hp motor of the era was not even close to overpowering this model.

If I find one, I will buy it myself for a restoration of my own.

Good luck on your search!

Lew

https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/attachments/f50/49442d1337646589-14-x-46-aluminum-deep-v-arkansas-traveler-boat-%24300-ak1-jpghttps://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/attachments/f50/49443d1337646589-14-x-46-aluminum-deep-v-arkansas-traveler-boat-%24300-ark2-jpghttps://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/attachments/f50/49444d1337646589-14-x-46-aluminum-deep-v-arkansas-traveler-boat-%24300-ark3-jpghttps://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/attachments/f50/49445d1337646589-14-x-46-aluminum-deep-v-arkansas-traveler-boat-%24300-ark4-jpg

I'm pretty sure this is the model my father had.

My ears are still ringing from holding the butt on the inside while my dad drove the replacement rivets from the outside.

They took plenty of rental abuse and popped a lot of rivets doing so.

That link doesn't work.

Maybe this will:

Attachments

• ark2.jpg
    ark2.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 1,166
  • ark4.jpg
    ark4.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 1,166
  • ark3.jpg
    ark3.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 1,166
  • ak1.jpg
    ak1.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 1,166
Well, Johnny, this follow up is for you as you had requested some maiden voyage pictures and graciously offered help (as did others) as I rebuilt the little green guys and the alumacraft FD-6 to mount them on.

Sorry for only a few pictures, but spent most of the day trying to get the motors started, so only left the dock a couple of times with at best two motors going at the same time...they worked in a barrel (so-so) so this was to be a "burn-in" visit to open water, and the boys got stage fright.

Will post some more pics and a video once I get the rework of my rebuild complete.

Regards,

Attachments

• 100_2206.JPG
    100_2206.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 953
  • 100_2208.JPG
    100_2208.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 953
  • 100_2256 (2).JPG
    100_2256 (2).JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 953
  • 100_2257 (2).JPG
    100_2257 (2).JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 953
Johnny said:

Pretty neat photo but I believe if you look closely enough you'll find it is photoshopped. Look at the reflections on the cowling of the first and third motor. Mirror images of each other. The wiring at the control boxes looks a little funky, too. I've seen this photo before and others have pointed this out but I forget where.

Latest posts