16 ft Jumbo V summer project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to be hardcore about fishing and then got into shooting and loading and casting ammo for 15 years. Now I'm back at it.

Coming along slowly but shirley. Thinking about cutting strips of carpet left over from the trailer bunks and gluing it to the bottom frames and also inside the compartments to cut down on noise. The front benches were installed at different angles so they need a little work and I can't decide on hinges. The offset type I bought aren't going to work so I'll have them in the classifieds before long.

QauQJcxl.jpg

Framed one side this afternoon and checked with foam to see how much storage space will be left. Looks like each side will have one space for foam and one for storage. I'm using 1" so it can go under the floor and into tight spots. One 4x8 sheet is roughly equal to the foam in the middle bench.

AA7CqGbl.jpg

The other side only took half as long.

sPGz74Pl.jpg

I got a little too aggressive scrubbing off the carpet glue so I took the cut out piece to auto stores to find some touch up paint but no luck so I wound up at Home Depot where the girl matched it almost perfectly. She put a little on the corner and said a foam roller would leave no streaks. Sounds pretty easy so I might do the outside the same way if it works okay.

BbnSwDrl.jpg

Picked up the decals while I was out which turned out okay. I found the fish online and emailed it to em. They also made two nice stripes like the Monark had.

JlLGeyQl.jpg

Got most of the rear pieces cut this morning before my back turned into a knot. A good Porter Cable jigsaw will go right through it and I managed to find my old one in the garage. All the horizontal pieces will get vinyl.

TObXglPl.jpg

The plan was to open the side storage compartments from the side so rod holders and whatnots could go on top but it's kind of low. Opening from the top would be more better if were possible. Maybe a double piano hinge is what it needs so it could fold out like old car hoods used to do.

Got a few pieces covered and one hatch installed. Weldwood contact cement seems to work well with vinyl.

9wEcw3Rl.jpg

4u3RmZzl.jpg

The Nikon digital camera I use suffers from "barrel distortion" which warps everything. The hatches are going on top.

Soe99sel.jpg

The boat project has slowed to a crawl between work and chasing whatnots. It's rated for a 40 so I looked around for the lightest one I'm aware of and turned it into a tiller.

bBoHEpTl.jpg

Thanks Duke. I like vinyl and aluminum composite panels. Even though they cost more up front you only have to do it once.

That electric start 40 Mariner weighs 160 lbs on my bathroom scales. Wish I could say the same.

The rear bench sits so low there's no way to get cables under it to the batteries up front so I'm thinking of a 1 1/4" hole all the way through it and run wiring inide the compartments. It needs the battery cable, trolling motor cable, light wire and fish finder wire. I'll pipe through the bench and bush each end unless there's a reason not to do it. I'm guessing it wouldn't compromise the strength of the bench?

water bouy said:
I like vinyl and aluminum composite panels. Even though they cost more up front you only have to do it once.
Ditto ... marine vinyl is AWESOME! My rig is 20-years old this year and after a good pressure washing ... it looks like new!

Today felt like spring so I uncovered the boat and cut two pieces for the front benches and one for the bow. Last year I rattle canned the inside a white color to keep it cool in the sun. This project may be ready by the time I'm too old to fish. So far I bought 4 sheets of 6mm alum composite panels weighing 45 lbs each, almost identical to 1/2" plywood. A good thing on such a light boat.

yn9p58gl.jpg

Looks good bud. I got a lot of things going on too. Priorities, right. Good to see you got the cover off the boat.

Thanks, nc. I think working on it is almost as much fun as fishing.

The deep cycle battery is going up front but I'm debating where to put the starting battery. Side by side would be ideal to counter the weight in the back.

Came across a good tutorial on wiring but no charger is mentioned.
https://newwiremarine.com/how-to/wiring-a-boat/

Minn Kota makes an on-board charger that looks good.
https://www.amazon.com/MinnKota-Board-Battery-Charger-Banks/dp/B0042T4GIW?tag=pda0e-21

Cut a piece this morning and mocked it up before the rain got here.

VywatFhl.jpg

Been making rod holders out of a piece of starboard I got off ebay.

0OOPyCal.jpg

Latest posts